Topic: Looking for: Amati contrabassoon end pin assembly.

I'm looking high and low for an end-pin assembly for an early model Amati contrabassoon. Is there anyone out there in bassoon-land who knows how to acquire an entire assembly (meaning the pin and the frame that attaches to the instrument) from Amati? I've been unsuccessful trying to contact their sales rep here in the US.

Short of that, is there anyone out there that knows how to construct such an assembly?

Any other ideas for propping up a contra on a non-slip object of some sort?

Thanks

Philip
NYC

Re: Looking for: Amati contrabassoon end pin assembly.

Could you retrofit a Fox endpin assembly?

Hey Will I'm not sure, but I do know they're a little easier to get at...I'll have to check this week with a friend of mine with a Fox. I can't imagine them being that much different.

If the Amati you speak of has a threaded spike that goes into a threaded socket in the dead center of the bottom bow, I can certainly say that those are pretty much unobtainable from the maker. You will either have to have one made, or some type of new assembly will need to be retrofitted to the instrument.

I would be more apt to retrofit a more current style of end pin assembly as it allows for greater height adjustability for greater playing comfort. There are several ways to do this procedure, but will more or less involve brazing on some type of clamping bracket onto the ferrule of the lower bow.

I hope this helps, Any questions please feel free to contact me privately.

Cordially,
        Chad

Taylor Bassoon Services
723 Steamboat Ct
Ottawa, IL 61350
PH-815-343-2492

It is almost impossible to get Amati spares even modern instruments (In UK at least).
I've fitted a Fox unit on one of these old Amati's. As Chad says  it requires a bit of work making & fitting mounts.

Thank you all very much. I've taken this information along with my own tech's expertise and we are in fact going to order a Fox pin assembly and attempt to mount it on the Amati.