Topic: studying in america - good wind ensembles???

i am wishing to study wind conducting in america, perhaps minoring in performance (bassoon) at a graduate level. I am doing some basic research but am wanting to know what are acknowledged as some of the better places to study in this regard - universities with really good wind ensembles - obviously you have the eastman, but other than this, where are the good places to study??

cheers!!!

Nick Macorison
London based freelance bassoonist and enthusiast.

Dont ask me about reeds.....

Re: studying in america - good wind ensembles???

Nick,
As a graduate myself, CCM (Cincinnati Conservatory @ University of Cincinnati) has a fantastic wind ensemble, as well as a fantastic bassoon professor (Bill Winstead). Rod Winther is the Wind conducting studies down there and also fantastic. Most of the grads there get a large sum of money for grad school and most get a full ride with some sort of assistantship. All conducting GA's are on a full ride + stipend. Check it out -- great program. I have several friends who have graduated out of the wind conducting program. I didn't graduate from the wind conducting program as I was an Oboe/EH perf. major for my masters, but had many friends and considerable participation in the wind program -- I love playing in wind ensembles and wind ensemble music -- so the program is very strong and very dear to me!

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.  One of the best Wind Symphonies in the world in my opinion.  James Keene, the director, is tough but a bit of a living legend.  I have no idea of specifics as far as the program goes, but we haven't had a band conducting major for at least a few years.  Look into it.

CCM, I will agree with Shawn, has a great reputation, although I don't know the school from firsthand experience.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I will also agree with Trent that U of I at Urbana with Jim Keene is also a fantastic program. Two of my mentors and former conductors received degrees in wind conducting with Professor keene.

On my earlier post, I forgot to mention that CCM also has ample chamber wind (two groups -- one grad and one undergrad that performs internationally quite often) conducting and music oppurtunites.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)