Topic: Help Identifying Manufacture of Used Tip Profiler

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a used tip profiler for bassoon but it did not come with any information about the manufacture (as I purchased it from an estate sale). Can anyone out there help me ID the maker so that I know who to contact to purchase templates and replacement blades from? I have attached an image of the profiler to help.

Post's attachments

WP_20150615_001.jpg 355.62 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-06-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Help Identifying Manufacture of Used Tip Profiler

Looks like a Reeds N Stuff machine.

Mark Ortwein
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
OrtweinWoodwinds.com

It certainly does,
http://www.reedsnstuff.com/en/Bassoon/R … -2013.html
Interesting reeds in the background, they look like the wires recommended by Mark Eubanks, I do the same thing. I purchase from wires.uk, because Spanish companies only want to sell in very large bulk orders to businesses and hardware stores have a very meager selection of wires. No problems with customs from the UK either. Is Wires.uk the best place? I have been quite happy with them.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

Thanks to you both for the positive ID on the profiler. Marydoob, good eye on the wires. I studied with Mark which is where I picked up the habit. I actually have not heard of wires.uk. I moved to the UK two years ago and before I went I bought a bunch of wire in bulk and then slow shipped it over. I have noticed that it is very difficult to get certain wire types in the UK though.

Have either of you had any experience with the reeds n stuff tip profiler? How much of the blade do you usually set it up to scrap?