Topic: Putting Bassoon Reeds Under the Sun - Good Idea?

I know it is a no-no to put a bassoon or oboe under the sun.  How about bassoon reeds?  I just found a tiny moving creature in my reed case, and am putting my reed case under the sun to kill anything that might be there.  Is it a good idea to put my bassoon reeds under the sun as well?

oboe (French, Viennese, baroque), bassoon (German, French, baroque), shawm, dulcian

Re: Putting Bassoon Reeds Under the Sun - Good Idea?

It's how they dry the raw cane at the plantation. Probably can't hurt it too much.

Heck, I've been putting my cane (not finished reeds) in a food dehydrator to dry it more rapidly, at least to get it started.

I'm not sure that just sunning your case will kill any moving critters though.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Re: Putting Bassoon Reeds Under the Sun - Good Idea?

You could try Clorexhidina I suppose, I have heard of people using that. I think that should kill anything and it's for oral higiene. Not sure if it's bad for the reeds though. I have always wondered if there was some sort of herbal tea ( non toxic), that could extend reed life and stabilize cane. I think the little bugaboos would just hide in the tube from the sun. Try an alcohol swab on the box.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.