Topic: Any replacement wing joints out there?

Hello IDRS colleagues, The unthinkable has now happened twice. Two of my students have accidentally broken their wing joint tenons. Rather than repairing I think that it would be better to try to find a replacement.  Would any of you have a Schreiber or black Polisi wing?
Thanks so much for any leads!

Re: Any replacement wing joints out there?

I think your best option is to fix the wing joints. Schreiber joints are going to be easy to find, but finding one that will match will be a bigger trick. While some of the later Polisi instruments were made by Schreiber, I believe the black ones were all very early models, and probably only about 50 of them exist. I might have that last bit wrong, but I'm fairly confident on it.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Thank you Trent!  Could you please tell me around how much it costs to replace a wing tenon?
Also do you know if this kind of repair holds up long-term?

Best regards!

Depends on the shop, but I would say expect it to be at least a $500 repair, since there's a liner that needs to be contended with on that joint. Some techs to look at or call (in no particular order)

James Keyes
Paul Nordby
Nicholas Evans
Jim Kirker

If it's done right it's a permanent, instrument-lifetime repair.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds