Topic: Reedlife reed treatment

I have heard some positive things about the Reedlife reed treatment.  Has anyone tried it?  Who makes the product?

Thanks so much!

Steph

"Music is a moral law.  It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything  It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful."  -- Plato

Re: Reedlife reed treatment

I've tried ReedLife. The directions tell you to soak the reed in the solution until it stops bubbling, which is over 15 minutes long, quite a long time if you ask me. If you soak any reed (at least an oboe reed) for over 15 minutes it will feel different. I never soak my reeds that long because it makes them waterlogged and stuffy. After trying ReedLife on a reed, sure enough, I had the exact results I expected. The reeds felt waterlogged and stuffy, even after drying out and re-soaking them.

If you still want to try it, I recommend comparing the results of reed life with the results of soaking a reed for the same amount of time in plain water.

As for the manufacturer, google it. Many companies sell it.

Instead of reed life, a fox oboe plaque is much more effective in getting out the buildup/gunk inside the reed and prolonging the life of a reed. They are nicely rounded over on the ends so it won't destroy the reed.

Thanks for the info!  What size of ultrasonic cleaner do you use?  Just a regular jewelry size? 

i am just looking for an alternative way to clean and sanitize my reeds.

"Music is a moral law.  It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything  It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful."  -- Plato

Thanks so much!  This will help a lot! 

Now i will be able to clean my students' reeds while they are here for lessons in addition to cleaning my own reeds.

Steph

What about using plain old hydrogen peroxide?  I've never tried it but an oboe friend uses it all the time and says it rejuvenates her old reeds.

Personally, I feel all that gunk gives personality and stamina to my reeds!  I usually rinse them out after playing but do nothing more..........