Topic: Buying an English Horn

I am looking at buying an English Horn.  I can only spend about $5000.  Any suggestions?

Any opinions about the Patricola or Bulgheroni horns?

Re: Buying an English Horn

I bought the Fox 555 for around $3400 and couldn't be happier with it.  It is resonite, not grenadilla, which actually is perfect for me because I don't need it all that often and I don't have to worry about cracking.  Synthetic instruments have come a long way!  The sound quality is very good as well.

The intonation (on mine at least) is really very good!  I have less intonation issues with it than I do with my Loree oboe.  One of the bocals it came with works very well, the other one is useless, but I believe each bocal was modeled after a different type, so I guess it stands to reason that only one would work well.

I'm sure a more expensive grenadilla EH might sound better, but I don't think I could have found a better value for  myself.  Unless you are going to be playing it professionally all the time, you might want to think about the Fox!

Darlene

I just bought a Fox 555 for the college where I teach. The fox horns are fantastic.

Recently, at the convention in muncie as a matter of fact, I tested nearly every EH there. Hands down, myself and three of my colleagues (one professor of oboe, one playing EH in a symphony, and another in post grad work at Mannes) all agreed the Fox hands down, beat all of the other brands -- including Loree.

Two years ago when buying my own EH, I narrowed my choices down to a Fox, A Howarth, a Loree and A fossati -- when push came to shove, the Fox was amazing -- however at the time, I had the money to buy the Loree so I did. I now think that in the future if I buy a new EH, it will be a fox. HOpe this helps.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

If I had a narrow budget now, I would definately try the Thiery English Horns made by Fossati. They have a very good price for what they give.. (I am now playing a Fossati Pro English Horn).

When I was around 20, I bought my first English Horn, which was a Patricola. It was a good instrument, even with an extention for low Bb. The Patricola Horns are surely worth a try..

For Bulgheroni or Fox English Horns I cannot speak, I have only tried out oboes of these brands, and the Bulgheroni oboes I liked very much..

Kathrin Brun
[url=http://www.oboist.ch]http://www.oboist.ch[/url]

I, too, play a Fossati Tiery EH, and love the tone and, too, the light weight (it weighs a bit less than a Loree or a Bulgheroni, which is good for me, as I do not use a neckstrap when I play EH).  One of my students just purchased a Fossati Pro, and it, too, is a beautiful instrument.  The response and scale is quite good, in my opinion.  I use a Dallas bocal, finding that it did improve the upper register of the instrument (providing more stability).

I had a student who played a Bulgheroni EH, and besides the fact that it is quite heavy, the scale and pitch (at least on this particular instrument) was uneven...sharp and fuzzy in the middle register, unstable pitch in the upper register.

If I were to purchase an EH today, I'd go with the Fossati...I purchased mine from David Weber (http://www.webreeds.com)

Hope this helps a bit!

Candi

Candi Morris
Oboe/EH/Oboe d'amore
Dayton, OH

I have a Loree EH from 1985, and I'm the original owner.  Dan Stolper graciously picked out this instrument for me on his trip to RDG that summer.  It has a rich, resonant tone, and a pretty even scale.  Paul Covey made some pitch adjustments for me about six years ago.  Over the years I've experimented with different bocals--Loree 2 and 2H, Lickman 7, and two different Hinikers.  Most recently I bought a Laubin bocal and that has added depth and easy projection out into the hall. 

My point is there are a lot of good used EHs out there of many brands.  Take your time finding the right match for you.  Ask for a 5-day trial period and play it in a performance venue if at all possible, inviting trusted colleagues to listen and give you feedback.  You should be able to buy a great instrument with $5000.  Best of luck.
Lynn

Last edited by Lynn Hansen (2006-08-13 09:18:46)

I have a question re English Horn bocals.  A student is having some problems with written hi C.  Note just doesn't seem to want to come out.  New Fox plastic E Hrn...full conservatory model...Fox XL2 bocal.  Is this a problem that could be attributed to a bocal?  Any other suggestions?  Thanks

Frank Watson

you could try the other bocal that came with the EH-- at least, my Fox came with two, one which worked well and one which didn't.  C on the EH is a particularly troublesome note anyway I think.  But the bocal could be making it worse.   Most places will let you get a couple at a time on trial; you are out S&H on it if you don't buy them, but it's worth a try.  See if your student knows any other EH players whose bocals he/she could try..

Darlene