Topic: Unread messages?

On another forum I belong to I can select "unread messages" and it shows, as you can guess, only the messages I haven't read. I can't figure out how to do this on this forum and keep returning to messages I've already seen. (On the other forum you can return to earlier messages if you don't remember what a post is replying to.) What's the best way to organize reading this forum so you read only the topics you're interested in (I play the oboe and am not much interested in bassoon fingerings) and don't have to go through the same posts twice?

Re: Unread messages?

I think it's 'new posts'- not quite certian. Remember, this is a beta version, so folks, keep the comments and ideas coming. We can collectively build a forum that suits our individual needs.

Paul Barrett
   -Principal Bassoonist, Honolulu Symphony
    -Lecturer in Bassoon, University of Hawaii

Select "Show new posts since last visit" from the "Index" page. Other options available from the Index page are:

Mark all topics as read
Show recent posts
Show unanswered posts
Show your subscribed topics
Show your posts

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications

Unfortunately, it appears that the "show new posts" does not keep track of which ones you've read and which ones you haven't.  In other words, it's not an "unread" feature.  I tried reading all but a few of my "new" messages, leaving a few unread.  When I logged back in, it didn't keep track of my unread messages.
This means that I have to read all the "new" messages each time I log in or else I'll lose track of them.  But I don't always have time to read all the messages.......
Any suggestions to solve this annoying dilemma?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill:

I think you are right about the "Show new posts since last visit" feature.  It will mark all as read if you go somewhere else and leave it too long.  Perhaps another option can be added but in the meantime you can select "show recent posts" and from there start at the top and then go down until you know you have read those posts.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

There is an option on the index page to mark all topics as read, that might solve the problem. Still can't figure out how to mark as read an individual message. Stay tuned!

Paul Barrett

Hi Paul,
The problem is that I want to maintain the list of messages I *haven't* read so I can come back later to read them.  Marking all my messages as read has the opposite effect - basically it says forget all past messages, make them all the same.  This is useful, of course, if you want to start from today and only get the new messages after today.
Kent's suggestion to use the "show recent posts" is practical but it assumes I've read all the messages that aren't "recent". (Certainly not true after vacation!)
Anyway, I think an improvement is needed.  (Newsgroups can do this, for example.)
Thanks for the help,
Bill

I see what you mean Bill regarding reading recent posts.  It only gives you one page and that would not be enough if there are a lot of messages.  Hopefully, the forum software will eventually get more features.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore

This forum is powered by PunBB (see the link on each forum page)- it's an open source code software. Yoshi has done a great job putting it together, and hopefully will be able to find more plug-ins to improve the forum. Give it time. You can go to http://forums.punbb.org to see what it's all about.

Paul Barrett

Thanks for that link Paul.  Interesting stuff.  The forum will only get better.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore

While I realize that that PunBB probably has a lot going for it and I assume that you made an informed choice when you picked that as the forum software, I want to add my two cents on the topic anyway.

The best forum software keeps track of exactly which posts I've read, and which I haven't. Even between sessions. That's a feature I find very useful, since it allows me to log in and read just a couple of threads if I don't have much time, and the forum will keep track of which threads I have read. It's a very nice timesaving feature. Those forums usually also have "Go to first new post" buttons next to each thread, which come in handy, particularly in longer threads.

It does use a bit more database space, since it requires an additional table to keep track of what each user has read, but it is the single most useful feature of any forum I've visited. I haven't looked at the source for PunBB, so I don't know how easy it'd be to add, but if it's easily done or if you're in the future considering switching forum software, that's a feature I'd love to have. It'd probably make me a forum regular. (Oh no! I shouldn't have said that. Now I'll never get that feature. wink)

PunBB is indeed an open source software, you can access their site right at the bottom of each forum page (where it says 'Powered by PunBB'). This would be the place to make your suggestion, or to add the feature yourself if you are  'tech savvy' enough to participate. Good luck!!

Paul Barrett

That would be a good idea, except that the main goal for PunBB is to be "lean and mean". I searched their forum and saw it stated plainly that they will not add such a feature.