Topic: Scoring the bark prior to forming discovery

This may be old news to many but somehow I have escaped the realization that the best way to score the bark of the cane prior to forming the but of a bassoon reed is not to cut with a knife blade but to scrape with a miniature triangular scraper.  This is the way a woodworker would proceed to produce a bead or other such detail on a larger scale in a furniture application.
  In reedmaking it is desirable to maintain consistency as much as possible and the scraping operation helps by making it easier to control the cut depth and provide a clear visual indicator of the location.  Also scraping follows the grain better than cutting with a scalpel-like blade which can easily cross-cut the cane.  After coming to this conclusion I decided to modify a knife blade to make it suitable to the task and came up with the shape shown in one of the attachments.  This worked well as a scraper but the small residual cutter was difficult to sharpen correctly.
  I decided to look for a suitable tool online and was initially attracted to a tool used to score cement board prior to snap-breaking it.  The tool came in both carbide and carbon steel and the steel version could be reground if necessary to offer the correct scraping profile.  I decided to drop in to my local Ace hardware to see if they carried such a tool.  They did not but instead had something far more suitable.  It is the Fletcher ScoreMate Plastic Cutter (05-111) which Ace sells for $8.59 and is likely in stock.
  I took photos but was unable to attach more than one to this post so I created a PDF document instead which is attached.
  As a P.S. comment, I have in the past used a thread tapping cutter which also works as a scraper.  The difficulty with a tap is that it requires much more pressure to work properly.  I believe that a well designed handle which allows the user to put good force at the proper location would make this work well.

Last edited by rchick (2018-02-26 07:32:38)

Post's attachments

Scoring the Bark.pdf 187.52 kb, 7 downloads since 2018-02-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.