Topic: Bassoon chirp--maintenance?

I have a student who has a Fox 240.  Just recently, she has been dealing with an annoying chirp when playing high Bb slurred down to F above the bass clef staff.  I thought there was a leak, and found a sluggish F key pad cup-- freed that.  Chirp still there. I added a bit of dental floss around a loose wing tenon.  Chirp still there.  We tried different reeds, her other bocal, and my bocals. Chirp still there. When I play it, the chirp can be lessened but not destroyed by loosening my lips quite a bit, but pitch is not good, then.  We have tried more air, less air, tighter embouchure, looser lips, etc.  No change.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, the closest repair tech that I trust is about 3 hours away, and this is a college student who needs the instrument now.  Where should I look to help the poor beast of a bassoon?  Just deal with it until the end of the school year?

Re: Bassoon chirp--maintenance?

This is a normal problem on bassoon, similar to "wolf" tones on a string instrument.  The worst one is slurring from high Ab to the Eb below.  Don't know of a fingering that will help the Bb/F, maybe finger the Bb with the low E key in place of the low F key.  Ab/Eb can be helped by finger the Ab with the F and Bb keys instead of the G key.  A lighter reed will also help.

Good luck!!