Topic: Looking for a good chair

Hello all,

I'm looking for a good bassoon practice chair for my office, and have been doing so for a number of years.  Please help.

Each time I think I find something that will work (usually from Office Max, etc.), after a month or so the physical stress of hours of practice generates pain in my right leg.  I was looking at the Symphony chair from Wenger, but I cannot imagine paying over $350 for a chair. 

Has anyone out there found a decent alternative to alleviate the abuse we put ourselves through?

Scott Pool

"The Ornaments look pretty, but they're pulling down the branches of the tree." - Cake

Re: Looking for a good chair

Hi Scott:

I was researching chairs too just last year.  I wanted the Symphony chair from Wenger but as you say it is too much.  The Musician Chair from Wenger is also good and is under $200--still very expensive but will probably last forever.  Then they have the student chair for $73.  We have a lot of these at our school.  There is no cushion on it though but you could add your own if you wanted to go that route.  Do you know what it is about the chairs you are buying that generates the pain.  Maybe if you found out what it is, you could find a chair that works for you.  Do you need a higher chair, for example.  With the Wenger, you can get a custom height.  But if you knew what works for you, you might be able to find that height in a chair from one of the office stores.  Good luck.  I'd be interested to know when you have found your match.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

You might want to  contact  the folks at Wincresearch or somesuch.  I know  from  attending the  Fresno State Double  Reed  days that they sell ergonomic stuff for  bassoonists. Therefore, it's possible they might have  info they could  impart re chairs.

Best,

john

Best,

john

Do you happen to have their contact information?  Thanks!

Scott Pool

"The Ornaments look pretty, but they're pulling down the branches of the tree." - Cake

Scott:  This looks like the company John is referring to.  Kent

http://www.wincresearch.com/

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Thanks, Kent.  Unfortunately, they don't appear to have a chair...yarrgh.

Scott Pool