Topic: Reed shape and taper

This is a continuation of a discussion Collar or no collar? What do YOU do? with varied topic.

Chad (Taylor),

(See thread above for a previous discussion on this topic)

I do remember looking at your your reed with Michael Rabinowitz in Ithaca. I once played on a "reversed taper" reed made by Samuel Jordan (Chicago SO 1935 - 1944). This type of reed, I believe, would work well for older instruments (6000-9000 series Heckel), especially if equipped with a pre-war bocal. On newer Heckels (post 11,000 series to current), this type of reed may not support mid to upper register pitches, especially at loud dynamic levels.

My reed on the photo is designed for a modern Heckel bassoon, and it is a modified parallel scrape. The shape is Herzberg's. My reeds also work well with prewar Heckels, if matched with a modern Heckel bocal. Previously, I made Garfield type "parallel scrape" reeds. The shape that worked for me for "parallel scrape" reeds was based on a shaper that I received as a gift from Don Christlieb. I modified the shape, and also had Fox make a new shaper (Ishikawa) based on my modified design. The "parallel scrape" is a fabulous design, and from my experience, this design is best suited for prewar short bore Heckels and other instruments modeled after prewar Heckels, such as Fox 201.

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications

Re: Reed shape and taper

Chris,

I do not know. I gouge and profile all my cane on my custom-adjusted profilers, Rieger for parallel scrape and Herzberg for modified parallel scrape.

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications