Topic: Reed Case Hunt

I have a student who is interested in finding a reed case like my own.  I purchased the 6 reed case in the 90's and for the life of me cannot remember the brand name.  Other than a B marked on the inside of the case, there is no brand marking on it.  Could you help me?

The case is wood, probably maple, and has a medium varnish on it.  On each side there are 2 decent size airholes.  The reeds are held in with mandrels, what look to be brass, and lay against a strip of cork on each side.  The inside of the case is lined with a red-colored lining.  And the case has a small folder-over latch.

I thought it might be a Wiseman reed case, but I do not see any of their cases that look like this one.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?  If so, I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks!
Steph

"Music is a moral law.  It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything  It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful."  -- Plato

Re: Reed Case Hunt

It's not exactly like what you have, but the ones at the top of this page:
http://www.forrestsmusic.com/bassoon_reed_cases
fit your description pretty closely.  Nothing else I found in my brief search was exactly what you have, although I think I've seen cases like that before.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

It sounds like a Harrison case, and they are no longer made.

Happy Bassooning!

beebejp:  Harrison seems to strike a familiar sound with me.  Thanks for the reminder!

Trent:  Thanks for the search link!

"Music is a moral law.  It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything  It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful."  -- Plato

It definitely sounds like a Harrison. The main choice your student has is whether he/she prefers a case with mandrels or indented strips to hold the reeds. I definitely do not recommend the German soft metal clips. You might want to check millermarketingco.com for reed cases, especially the EM or Bonazza for mandrel style. Wiseman makes a very nice reed case in the strip style. We certainly have come a long way since a Suckrets tin with kleenex-- although the old Suckrets tins are great for measuring and holding pre-cut wire for reed-making!

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

To be more prosaic, you might have him check eBay regularly.  I have seen the odd used Bonazza box go by, and some of the cheaper new wooden boxes with strips look and perform very nicely indeed.  They have a deep lacquer finish and magnetic catch opening, with airholes and velvet lining.  In other words, I wouldn't disdain the knockoffs.  Some of them are very well made.

Thank you, all, for your input.  I do appreciate your thoughts.

I think the Bonazza cases with mandrels may be closer to meeting my student's needs.  He is not the most careful person with the foam strip insert cases and tends to not get his reeds in all the way before shutting the case.  *crunch*

And wow!  Haven't heard the name Sucrets in a long time!  That brought back a few memories of my first reed case. 

Thanks again for your assistance!

Last edited by wibassoonist (2007-10-09 09:22:12)