Topic: To select the best cane

Dear Collegs! Help to test different tip of cane ( googes and tubes ). I am from Russia. We (russian oboists) order the cane in different europe shops. In majority cases we get not good cane. I need  in the recomiendation of good cane. Whitch marks and whitch shop? Last time I made reeds Marca from Berthelot, Alliaud, Rigotti, Bonazza. It's very important - whitch supplier or shop? If somebody will advise good cane, i'll thank very much.                Mikhail

Re: To select the best cane

Mikhail -- What seems like good cane to one player may seem terrible to another, because of our different styles of reeds and instruments.  Here is one of my sources:  even though I am in the USA, I order from oboecane.com, which is German, I believe.  I also have had good results using Chinese cane purchased from  http://shop.kge-reeds.com/store/index.shop in Australia.  Currently, however, I am using cane purchased 5 years ago from Charles Double Reeds in the US.  Good luck with your search.

Dear Elizabeth! Thank you very much your advice. Good luck. Mikhail

YMMV, but I've ordered some of that K-Ge cane from the Australia shop. It was the worst cane I've ever gotten/seen; mushy, brittle and cut with what looked to be a band saw that needed a new blade. Not only that, but there were actually microscopic "bugs" crawling all over the tubes. Disgusting! I couldn't get one good piece of cane from the kg I ordered. I've also ordered some processed cane from oboecane.com, but even at it's thickest, the sides were much too thin for most American gouges. oboecane.com tube cane tends to be very hard, sometimes too hard, but as chester notes, some have had good luck. Yes, they're a German company.

Loree, even though they're merely a middle-man, tends to be a great source of cane. Visit: http://loree-paris.com/ for more info.

If you buy from Alliaud, make sure you check the shipping costs before purchasing. When I purchased a kg of cane from them, they charged me a ridiculous amount for shipping (about 90 euros) because they insisted on shipping expedited, stating they've lost shipments using regular airmail post.

Overall, it is really difficult to recommend cane because every batch is different.

Last edited by omjeremy (2007-11-09 22:02:30)