Topic: Profiler Ripping Cane

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone else has problems with their profiler ripping the cane.  I have a Pfeifer profiler that I just changed blades.  I have never had problems before but with the new sharp blade, it is sometimes ripping off the side of the cane.  I am profiling cane that is already shaped.  The profile is not too thin because sometimes I get a good piece.  I am also trying to cut it in stages so that it doesn't cut all the way down at once.  The cane is soaked a long time so that isn't the problem.  Really the only change I can think of is the blade.  Thanks for any ideas.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Re: Profiler Ripping Cane

This is a quick reply. I can provide more details later, if you wish. Most likely, your blade extends too far into the cam. Retract your blade as far as possible so that the profile cuts very thinly. Adjust your cam height to compensate.

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, U of Colorado at Boulder
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications
Administrator, IDRS Forum

Thanks Yoshi.  I considered that but dismissed it because I never had the problem before and the blade is in the same position.  I am not looking forward to having to adjust the blade again but I may try what you suggest.  Thanks again.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore

Yoshi, if you have more ideas or details that would be great but I am soaking some cane now and later tonight I am going to try what you suggest.  I think you are right.  The blade is too far below the "limiting bar."  The new blade is in the same position as the old one but I guess with a sharp blade the position is more critical.  I really appreciate your help with this.  I am tired of destroying good cane.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore

I use Herzberg's technique. Find a .005-inch shim. Plastic sheets works great. Raise the blade until the shim can easily slide between the cam and the blade. Slowly lover the blade until it touches the shim. I use this method to set both Rieger and Herzberg profilers.

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, U of Colorado at Boulder
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications
Administrator, IDRS Forum

Dear Kent,

I would have to agree with Professor Ishikawa on this one.  I had a similiar problem when changing blades on my Pfeifer profiler and ended up raising the blade a smidge.  Of course a smidge is a very precious and absolute unit of measurement smile

Steve Welgoss
Long Island, NY
bassoon@welgoss.com

Steve:  Thanks.  I am glad to hear you were successful.  I adjusted my profiler last night and after profiling just a couple pieces it seems better but I'll do more today and see how it goes.  I have just a slightly thicker profile now and may have to fiddle with that some more too.  Not fun.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore

It is nice to have my profiler back.  So far so good.  The cane is not ripping and I am not even trying to be careful.  Thanks Yoshi and Steve!  I have left the profile a little thicker than I am used to though and will try that for a while and then take it down a couple thousandths if I don't like it.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore

This isnt completely on-topic, but how/where can I sharpen my blade on my Pfeifer profiler?  Is this something I can do myself?  Or is this something I need to have a machinist take a look at? 

Thanks,

Javier Rodriguez
Baton Rouge, LA

Last edited by JRodriguez877 (2013-06-12 11:13:13)

Javier Rodriguez, DM | Assistant Professor of Bassoon
University of Idaho | Lionel Hampton School of Music
Post-Haste Reed Duo | http://posthasteduo.com

Hi Javier:

You can do it yourself if you are inclined to do so but I sent mine to Bob Williams and he did a great job.  Kent

http://www.womblewilliams.com/contact.php

Dr. Kent Moore