Topic: Forum text format

The text format on the forum seems to be "centered," at least on my computer screen.  I find it difficult to read longer paragraphs.  Is there a way to reset the text to left alignment?

Re: Forum text format

This is very strange, I cannot duplicate your problem. What is your platform, browser incl. version? I will investigate...

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications

It is the same for me and others have mentioned it too.  I don't know if it matters what browser you use.  I am using Internet Explorer 6 on a PC.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

IDRS wrote:

This is very strange, I cannot duplicate your problem. What is your platform, browser incl. version? I will investigate...

AOL reads the text as "centered" as well.

Janie

Atlanta Baroque Orchestra
"Bach is Bach, as God is God."
   - Hector Berlioz

Interesting!  When I was reading posts this afternoon at work (shhh!  don't tell anybody! :-) ), they were centered.  I (am forced to) use Internet Explorer at work.

Here at home, using Mozilla, the posts are left justified.  Unless something changed configuration-wise between 5pm and 10pm CDT, that points to a clear browser dependency.

Susan Richter :: Austin, TX :: bassoon, dulcian

srichter1 wrote:

Interesting!  When I was reading posts this afternoon at work (shhh!  don't tell anybody! :-) ), they were centered.  I (am forced to) use Internet Explorer at work.

Here at home, using Mozilla, the posts are left justified.  Unless something changed configuration-wise between 5pm and 10pm CDT, that points to a clear browser dependency.

Interesting, I have not changed anything! BUT, I just used Explorer to view files, no problem with format...I use Mac OSX

Yoshi Ishikawa

Hi, Yoshi!  There's more interesting data points:  Using Opera (version 7.11, pretty darn old!), the text is just fine.  And I tried using IE on my machine at home (I *have* IE, I just don't like to use it), once again the text is centered.

I checked (with the assistance of my very knowledgeable husband) the HTML source of a posting page and discovered the problem.  In the header line at the top, that has the IDRS logo, the words "Open forum for the members of the International Double Reed Society", and the reeds icon -- that line has a <center> tag at the beginning but no </center> tag at the end.

It happens that IE is very strict about closing tags, while nearly every other browser is forgiving/understanding.  If you open a formatting tag (like <center>) inside a <p>, for example, it will implicitly close that tag when it sees the </p> paragraph close tag.

If you can fix the HTML in that centered header (which I assume you or someone created and can edit), then everyone should see the text the way it's "meant to be".  Hopefully ...  smile

Thank you for the tip. Saxton also contacted me regarding the possible problem with <center> tag.

I found a <center> tag in the title section of the forum (Open forum for the members…) with missing </center>. I fixed it. Please let me know if this resolved the problem with format.

Yoshi Ishikawa

The text looks good to me today, here at work (IE on a Windows box).  That seems to have done the trick!

I also noticed the same centering issue two days ago, but now it is aligned to the left when I read it.

Terry

Terry Ewell
Professor Bassoon, Towson University
Former President, IDRS
Former Principal Bassoon Hong Kong Philharmonic, Wheeling Symphony

As the one who posted the original question about text alignment, I can report that my text is now left-aligned as well.  Thank you!

Another interesting thing about the text... it appears everything is in bold since the <b> just before "Open forum for the members" isn't being closed off.

Last edited by sylvangale (2006-08-12 23:15:21)

Best Regards,
Stephen Kaupiko
Los Angeles, CA

sylvangale wrote:

Another interesting thing about the text... it appears everything is in bold since the <b> just before "Open forum for the members" isn't being closed off.

Fixed it, thanks!

Yoshi Ishikawa

Is it possible to specify the order in which one sees replies in each topic?  I would much rather see the latest post first, which would make unnecessary the scrolling through previously read posts to access the most recent.

-Frank Watson

I can reverse the order of replies, however, some may want to read the original post first.

Yoshi Ishikawa

On some forums there is the option for each individual to choose the order they want.  I don't think there is that option on this forum.  It would be nice if it could be implemented.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University