Topic: Which Machine is good for me? Ultimate Reed Finishing, Tip Profiling

I have four different shapers, Fox 2, Rieger 7, 13, and Christelieb DNC shapers. My reed’s blade is one inch. I spent lots of time to take wood off to get nice reed tip shape. I really want to save time and also make better reed. I want to buy a Machine, Is the Tip Profiling Machine work for my 4 shapers?  Also, should I buy an Ultimate Reed Finishing Machine?

1    Do I have to send my reed to Rieger Company?
2    Can standard Reed tip profiler Machine works on all my shapers?
3    Can I adjust tip shadow shape and thick on this Reed tip profiler Machine?
                ( my reed tip more like between Knochenhauer Stlye and Mechler Style )

Thanks a lot

Ke

Re: Which Machine is good for me? Ultimate Reed Finishing, Tip Profiling

I never use Reed tip profiler Machine, if I can use it to adjust all my shapers, I want to buy one. somebody please help me. where can I get cheaper one.

Thanks!

Ke

Hi Ke:

I don't have the Rieger Tip Profiler so I was hoping someone else would help you out with an answer.  I was once looking into getting one, however, and asked for feedback.  I can tell you that everyone who owns one is very happy with it and that it does save them lots of time and gives consistent results.  You should be able to use it for all of your shapes as it is extremely adjustable from what I have been told.  I think recently they have been harder to find so you might have to search on line for the best deals.  Another member was having trouble finding one but was told that Miller Marketing may have one  http://www.millermarketingco.com/rieger/basoon.htm  I do not know anyone who has the Ultimate Machine and it is fairly new so I can't give you any feedback regarding it.  It would be nice to hear from someone who has tried it.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

I did a search on this web site and here is some feedback on the Ultimate.

http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/viewtopic.php?id=2596 

And then here is more info with a search of the Rieger Tip Profiler

http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/search.php?search_id=1821617866

Dr. Kent Moore

Hello Ke,

The Rieger tip profiler will work with any of your shaper tips. I use my two with a variety of Rieger and Fox shapes. The shape of the "shadow" is not adjustable in and of itself, although you can lengthen or shorten the corona by moving the blank further away from or over the registration line on the form. The depth of the cut can be adjusted, though, and gives you a good amount of discretion in how much material you take off the blank. This accomplishes roughly the same thing as varying the placement of the blank on the mandrel. Its sometimes hard to find a dealer with the Rieger tip profiler in stock and you may have to put your name on a waiting list for one.

I am not familiar with the Ultimate reed-making machine although I have discussed it very briefly with Justin Miller, who sells them. I suggest that you contact Justin, who sells both machines, and explain just how much of the reed making task you want a machine to perform for you. He can then make a recommendation based on his thorough knowledge of both machines. You can contact Justin by e-mailing him at www.millermarketing.com.

Gene Carter, Owner
Linden Reeds

Good idea, Gene.  Justin is always helpful and would know the Ultimate machine very well.

Dr. Kent Moore

Thank your help, I think I will get a Rieger tip profiler first. I will contact Justin.

Thank you so much.

Ke