Topic: High A to High D slur fingering

Hello all,

I'm currently playing a bassoon quartet that calls for several slurs from high A to high D, and I'm having major issues with the D coming out.  Does anyone know of alternate fingerings for this specific slur before I go through all of them in the bassoon fingering resource? smile

Thanks,
TK

Associate Principal Bassoon/Contrabassoon, Kansas City Symphony

Re: High A to High D slur fingering

What fingering for high D are you using currently?  I would just use my standard fingering:

o o x Eb| o o x Ab
 d        Bb

And if I was having trouble that day getting it to come out with the slur I'd add a very very light tongue - the slur will likely have a bit of a break in it anyway, so the tongue wouldn't matter.

Last edited by Trent (2008-01-27 09:58:11)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Here is the fingering I use in Stravinsky's Pulcinella (Gavotta I think) where one plays F# A D under a slur:

d O 1/2 X NO-Eb! / Ab-Bb-triller 0 0 G Ab

It's the same as regular high-D, but one uses the the Ab-Bb-triller with the R-thumb rather than the Bb-key. Leaving off the Eb/resonance key is important. Note also the 1/2-hole for the L-middlefinger.

Michael Sweeney.

Prin. Bsn., Toronto Symphony Orchestra

How do you play the "glissandi" in Pulcinella's Gavotte measures 15 to 17?

Alejandro, Be sure to clean the vent holes for the high d and high c keys. Sometimes the highest notes will not respond if the vent holes have any dirt in them. Very best wishes y abrazos muchos a Cordoba! Chris

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

Alejandro, about the glissandi in the Gavotte there are two possibilities depending on the tempo: if the tempo is not too fast you could make rapid diatonic fingered glissandi (chromatic glissandi would take too much time); or you could make a jazz-style "fall off" by letting the pitch fall down to the e-natural. If you do that, it helps to finger the e with your g-key down. The fall off will work best if the tempo is fast. All best wishes, Chris

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com