Topic: Pittsburgh Symphony Bassoon Section

Good Afternoon,

I just picked up two fantastic Pittsburgh/Maazel recordings:

Pines/Fountains of Rome from 1994
Tchaik. 2 from 1986

When I hear great recordings like these I am always curious who is playing bassoon.  Since I am not familiar with the personel of this orchestra, I am hoping someone out there might be able to educate me.  Thanks in advance.

Steve Welgoss
Long Island, NY
bassoon@welgoss.com

Re: Pittsburgh Symphony Bassoon Section

I have the "Pines" recording -- amazing! I also am enamoured by the horn section playing as well -- breathtaking.

I am pretty sure Nancy Goores (sp? -- my apologies if its wrong) and phil pandolfi were playing. Not sure who else. You can google the pittsburgh symphony website and get more info. I am pretty sure the section has been the same since then -- but again, not totally sure.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

This is what I have listed on the roster at my site:

BASSOONS
Nancy Goeres, Principal
David Sogg, Co-Principal bassoon
Philip A. Pandolfi
James Rodgers, Contrabassoon

PEM
http://www.oboeinsight.com
AIM: Patioboe

Groovy, thanks.  Its amazing what Maazel can do with an Orchestra.

Steve Welgoss
Long Island, NY
bassoon@welgoss.com

FYI- The contrabassoonist for the PSO at the time was Carlton Jones, who retired from the orchestra around 2002.  He was likely playing on this recording.

Cheers,
Todd Goranson
Instructor of Bassoon
Texas A&M University-Commerce

I forget the exact years but Leonard Sharrow also played in Pittsburgh for a while around the 1986 time.  It may have been a couple of years before this however.  Does anyone know?  David Sogg posts from time to time.  Maybe he will see this.  I remember seeing the orchestra in Philadelphia and if I remember correctly Sharrow was a soloist in the Haydn Sinfonia Concertante.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

I have said for years that Pittsburgh is one of the most under-rated and under appreciated orchestras in our time right now. Each and every concert I have heard with them is amazing. The attention to detail, the core sound that the musicians play with, and the true musicianship that is exchibited between members of the orchestra is unbelievable. Not to discord any other orchestra, by any means do I mean that other groups get un-deserved attention as they are all amazing, however I just think that Pittsburgh is one of those sleeping giants that if you get the chance to hear, you should take that chance.

About ten years ago I heard Pittsburgh in the amazing Heinze Hall downtown, play "Firebird Suite" (1921 I think) as well as Mahler 1 -- along with two other shorter pieces (I don't recall them) on the same concert -- it was absolutely amazing. As a side note, the double reed playing in the orchestra is absolutely exquisite -- both oboes and bassoons. (I'm partial to the oboes, of course :-) ) but nonetheless, just breathtaking.

:-)
Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

I agree with you.  Another grossly underrated orchestra is the Buffalo Philharmonic.  Lots of great Lucas Foss and Michael Tilson Thomas recordings from the 60's and 70's as well as new ones under Joann Faletta.  I stongly recommend their 2004 Carnegie Hall recording.  You've never heard Smetana's Bartered Bride played so well.

Steve Welgoss
Long Island, NY
bassoon@welgoss.com

I agree -- I have heard one recording of Buffalo doing a Foss piece and it was fantastic. I don't remember which piece it was --definately correct though in your thoughts -- I agree! :-)

Shawn Reynolds