Topic: sheherezade mvt II solo - alternate fingerings

I am having a hard time slurring between my F and G, and D and G. Are there alternate fingerings for G that I could try?
My current G is
X
X
X
Eb key
X
F key

Thanks in advance

Re: sheherezade mvt II solo - alternate fingerings

First finger left hand should be a half hole.  And a pretty precarious half hole at that, so work with varying levels of 1/2 or 1/4 hole and find the one that works best on your horn.  But that's pretty much the fingering for G.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

That is the G fingering I use for that solo (1/2 hole first finger, however).  The 1/2 hole is likely the problem.  Get someone to check it while you are playing or look in a mirror to make sure you are rolling your finger properly.  Slow practice should help too but you need to move your index finger quickly to get to the 1/2 hole.  Let us know if you fix it.  Kent

Last edited by Kent Moore (2008-04-03 14:38:43)

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

A technique I've used for the cadenzas is to half-hole both your first and second fingers in the left hand.  It takes a little getting used to but it helped my slurs quite a lot.

Associate Principal Bassoon/Contrabassoon, Kansas City Symphony

Here's a suggestion for practicing that kind of repetitive passage by referring to notes in the 2nd cadenza (f,e,f,g,f,e,f,e,d):  starting slowly practice that pattern in a continuous loop; then make another loop starting with the second note, then the third note, etc. until you have done the loops from every pitch. You can apply that strategy to all of the cadenzas.

Avoid accenting high g by placing the emphasis on the final "f". When you play the loops do not go faster and faster as you play. If you want to play faster, start the pattern faster, but avoid accelerating until you can play the patterns with confidence. Good luck and be patient as you allow yourself to learn the passage.

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will try half-holing both first and second fingers. For the first cadenza, everything works smoothly. It is the other two cadenzas where the D-G slur is keeping me from increasing tempo. I'll let you know how I fair with practice.
Thanks