Topic: Ear infection...ooh the sheer misery

I have had a very nasty ear infection in both ears, its been very uncomfortable and my poor ears felt like they were going to explode at one point...I saw my doctor who perscribed me an antibiotic spray which seems to have done the trick and I have avoided at my teachers advice from playing the Oboe at all which has been very frustrating to say the least. I can't say that my ears are fully recovered, the pain has gone and apart from some intermitent fade in fade out hearing I seem to be fine. I am not sure how much longer to leave of playing the Oboe, I don't want my ears to suffer nor do I wish to lose my lip which I suspect will be in total collapse...

Anyone else suffer from this and what was your experience...I appreciate that I am asking for advice from a group of people who are not Doctors and therefore I accept responsibilty for my own actions...

Kindest regards

Andrew

Re: Ear infection...ooh the sheer misery

Dear Andrew,

I have never suffered from ear infection and pain, but my husband recently had this symptom along with the flu and I now understand how painful it can be.  I don't have any experience or real advice - only a thought:  I wonder if it would be OK to just try playing THE REED .... no oboe.  There should be less resistance and therefore less pressure.  It would certainly be a way to keep up your embouchure.  Maybe you could work on double tonguing or circular breathing during this "down time." 

Please don't panic or feel guilty about taking time off from the oboe.  (Oh, dear..... did ya'll hear me say that?!). True confessions ..... LOL !

I'm not a big time player, but do play professionally and do my share of volunteering in my area.  I always look forward to 3-4 weeks with NO oboe playing to catch up with the OTHER side of my life.  For me, it's much needed.  When I return to the oboe, I always feel refreshed and feel I begin by totally focusing on the important BASICS - nice relaxed embouchure, support, posture, etc.  These things are easy to forget about when just chasing from 1 concert to the next. 

Of course there's a few painful days when I can hardly stand to listen to myself.  The old joke:  "The first day you don't practice, YOU know.  The 2nd day you don't practice, your SPOUSE knows.  The 3rd day you don't practice, your CLEANING LADY knows!  LOL. 

Don't worry dear, it comes back to you sooner than you would think - and sometimes even better! 

Relax, Andrew ...... and just heal!  Listen to your body and most importantly ... * BELIEVE IN YOURSELF *

Hugs,
marsha

Good morning Marsha,

thank you for your thoughts and advice...I am happy to report that I seem to be almost fully recovered, I have not as yet picked my Oboe up and will probably leave it a few moe days and then start very gently...

I thought your suggestion about just using the reed was a good idea and I may pick one up later and have a gentle blow. My day somehow feels incomplete if I dont play so this past few days now nearly 10 has been misery and I dreading the sound that will come out, but that will pass shortly. Life has a habit of throwing us a curve when we least need or expect it and this is something I will have to contend with....

I do understand the need however for down time, it can come as something of a relief to us all and far more often than not it allows what we have learned to sink in...so no permanent damage done.

Hope to report back soon that there have been vast improvements..I liked the saying about my cleaning lady....very funny...she always comments when I am playing something shall we say of the more modern repetoire, especially if it isn't overly melodic, "ooh no, thats not Bach is it?"(dusting furiously)...scales in fourths almost send her running.....

regards

Andrew

I have suffered 2-3 ear infections a year for the past 28 years. I am a professional oboist and a college professor. I hate to tell you this, but there is no remedy. It has to run its course. I know about 2 hours before they come on and can pinpoint exactly when it will onset. My ear infections typically come on full-fledged in about 6 hours -- horrible. I go onto an antibiotic and a topical spray. Not much else you can do.

My mom worked for a chiropractor that suggested when one comes on to have your back/neck adjusted. I never did, but talked to several people who did this with great relief, with no antibiotic needed. Might work...who knows.

HOpe this helps

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

I hope that you have recovered form the infection. The best advise is only the doctor advise so you should concern him first.

Looking forward...

I still get ear infections at least twice a year. I don't play for about 3-5 days but then resume, even if its painful as sometimes there isn't a choice. I have found that nose sprays with xylitol help keep things clear. I can feel when an ear infection is coming on about 24 hours before it does (I always get them in my right ear, repeatedly) and when I feel them coming on I start my regimen of prevention, including a nose spray with xylitol. This winter I have prevented two of them from becoming full fledged infections! Hooray...

Hope your infections are not recurring.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Really feel bad to hear this i hope you have  recovered it would be really pain full moments for you
you should always act upon your doctor advice synflex
I thought your suggestion about just using the reed was a good idea and I may pick one up later and have a gentle blow

Last edited by Abbot (2010-04-28 00:34:26)