Topic: Trying to find the best oboe tube cane...

After finding out about the death of Madame Ghys and having a really difficult time finding Ghys tube cane from any supplier (which is unfortunate, because it is my favorite), I'm ready to switch to new cane.  What does everyone suggest for the best oboe tube cane that is comparable to Ghys?
Thanks,
Jennifer M.

Re: Trying to find the best oboe tube cane...

Try to get hold of some Ke-xun cane (pronounced Ke -shun) it should be available worldwide and is very consistent.

Do you know where the best place is to get this cane?
Thanks for the tip!

Here you go try this link   

http://www.kge-reeds.com/store/aboutPageExec.shop 

You can order online, his cane is very good, or you could try Jordanov in Paris he will hand select cane for you, the quality is excellent but be warned the hand selected/personal shopper route is not cheap...I will try to dig up the link for Jordanov for you please bear with me...(rushes to phone to call Germany)....

Back shortly

Regards

Andrew

And here is the Jordanov Link for you they are based in Paris I think so click on NON EU customers and take it from there...

http://www.le-roseau.ca/index.php

Bon Chance

Regards

Andrew

I like Mr Kerry Willingham's cane is the best. This is my opinion !

Thanks to both of you for offering your opinions!  I plan on trying out different cane suppliers all summer and will post the results- so far, OboeWorks Chinese cane gets a D+ for quality... C'est terrible!

I disagree -- I have had great success with Oboeworks cane -- I don't particularly care for Kge cane, but like the Kge that Oboe works has. I just got a new batch of it. You have to be careful which batch you get. Right now the 2006 batch is great -- 2005 was not so good.

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Have you tried this web site for ghys cane and many other growers:
www.oboe-shop.de
director: Heiko Frosch
address: Don-Bosco-Str. 18
              Bingen Germany post code D-55411
regards,

scott vigder

Thanks for all of your suggestions- I have to admit, I gave OboeWorks Kge cane a very subjective D+ due to having a whole batch that was green, stringy, and soft.   I think I went with the older 2005 cane, so hopefully I just got a bad batch.   I will try other cane from them to see if they can redeem themselves. smile
I will be starting to order from international sources after the batch of Danzi and Ghys that I just got from Hodge Products runs out.  At first glance, this cane seems to be of good quality- cross your fingers!

To be honest you really need to go and select your own cane...thats al very easy for me to say with Howarths in London just a hop skip and a jump away but it really is the only way forward...Find the nearest dealer and go see for yourself if you possibly can...or ask MR. Jordanov in Paris to select some cane for you...it might be worth a try..

Good luck/ Bon Chance

Andrew

Oboehotty wrote:

I disagree -- I have had great success with Oboeworks cane -- I don't particularly care for Kge cane, but like the Kge that Oboe works has. I just got a new batch of it. You have to be careful which batch you get. Right now the 2006 batch is great -- 2005 was not so good.

Hi Shawn...you like Kge from one place but not another...you know thats just being fickle (wink)

Happy (cane) Hunting

kindest regards

Andrew

Andrew,
Actually it was more that I liked one year's batch rather then another. I wish I had the luxury of being able to select my own cane -- someday someday

SR

Shawn Reynolds
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Hi Andrew-
You are so lucky to live near somewhere that sells cane- there are no sellers here in Maine!  smile
-Jennifer

Hi Shawn, Hi Jennifer....yes I am incredibly lucky to have T.W. Howarth not overly far from me and they are very helpful whenever I visit. I also have my reed teachers Steve and Lara Forbes at Fortay Reeds nearer still who,  should I run out of cane will help me out with some from their substantial and might I add KSG pile of  cane... I am very fortunate I know. I do have another friend who has recently joined the IDRS who is currently studying in Germany doing post graduate performers courses, he uses Msr. Jordanov's personal selection service and though it is expensive he swears by it...to him the right cane for the right reed type is crucial...His whole career relies on every performance and selection process therein...the stress at that level is to me at least unimaginable and he is a total star in my book, his dedication and sheer determination to succeed is staggering...I won't name him so please don't ask but I do believe that he will make it BIG TIME his talent is undeniable..

In truth we mere mortals have to accept that not every piece of cane is going to be top notch or even to our liking but as Oboists and I use that term to describe myself VERY LOOSELY we do have to play the very best we can taking into consideration that the perfect reed is ever elusive and we as musicians ( oh how I wish you could hear me laugh thinking of myself as a musician of any consequence) have to contend with each and every foible and idiosynchrisie that each reed or piece of cane presents us with...

A great friend of mine, a music scholar from oxford and then the Royal Academy who studied under George Caird was told to open her reed box and get her best reed out for Mr. Caird to see...he took it and popped it on his desk and asked her to then select another reed...none of the others were anywhere near as good as the reed now residing on Mr. Cairds desk and he pointed out that most of the time we all have to play on reeds that were not quite our best reeds... and that she (we) must simply cope...Harsh but true...and yes of course we try to find the best cane we can but in the end we have to make reeds from what we have...

By the way Shawn I was only joking with the "Fickle" Comment I knew what you meant so no offence was intended and I hope none taken...I did e-mail you as well..did you get my e-mail ?

I am afraid I cannot advise you Jennifer as to who or where to go or ask for good cane other than the European suppliers I have mentioned...I do wish you luck...I have no idea where Maine is so I have no idea where the nearest dealer is to you...Maybe one of the other moderators or members here based in the USA can advise...Maine sounds very pretty...

well its time to go...hope you are both well...

Kindest regards from me in England...

Andrew

Andrew -- I absolutely knew you were joking -- laughed a bit when I read the "fickle" comment. No need to explain, I mean really...do I seem that "fickle" ha ha. Happy cane hunting.

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds

At some point about three years ago, I came across some fantastic cane. Some of you may remember the Davie Cane Company out of Florida. All of the sudden, they were gone. Many who had been ordering were delayed, etc. This cane was from Argentina I believe (correct me if I am wrong) but it was the most consist cane I have ever come across. It made amazing reeds -- each and every reed was fantastic. I think it is Gonzalez cane -- does anyone know if a new source has been found for this cane? I still have some EH cane of that batch, which I use very sparingly.....its like a fine wine...amazing.

Shawn Reynolds

I believe this is the Gonzales cane website:  http://www.argendonax.com.ar/

Darlene

If you're looking for Gonzalez cane, there is a place near where I go to school that sells it and lately (spring) it was less than preferable, but it was pretty reliable before then. The link is:

http://www.muncywinds.com/home.php

Good luck!

I know I'm late in the game but Grimaud is a medium-hard cane from Weber Reeds that is some of the most consistent cane I've ever used. It's always dense, tight-grained, and has a bit of stiffness that when broken in, lasts a long time.

hautbois684 wrote:

If you're looking for Gonzalez cane, there is a place near where I go to school that sells it and lately (spring) it was less than preferable, but it was pretty reliable before then. The link is:

http://www.muncywinds.com/home.php

Good luck!

Don't know those people, or if what they sell is really Gonzalez cane from Mendoza, but definitely the quality of the material I sell is very high.

Andrew i think you will find that Le Roseau Chantant is based in Lyon smile
I find Alliaud very very good!  http://alliaud.roseaux.pagesperso-orange.fr/

I had some very good result with hardness tested cane from oboecane.com: http://www.oboecane.com/orderonlineoboe-c-55_54.html

They have american and european center/side ratios

Last edited by oboe4ever (2011-05-25 15:51:03)

I've also had really excellent cane from oboecane.com

You don't choose a specific cane grower but specify what density of cane you want. I ask for hard - very hard because I'm English and like playing on 2 lollipop sticks tied together!

I've had some stunning oboe and english horn reeds from their cane. Whether the performances matched the stunningness of the reeds is another matter entirely!

Anna

I love oboecane.com! They're extremely accommodating if you don't want to buy an entire kilo at once, I believe my first purchase was 1/4 or 1/2 lb. Their cane just seems to run a little wide for my [American] gouging preferences, but the pieces that are good are GOOD. let us know when you've found good cane, I'd love to hear what you think after sampling a few! smile