Topic: "Day Jobs"

What is you "day job"?  Are you a double reed performer, teacher, or some other profession for which "double reed-ing" is a secondary (though, quite important) job?  Or, are there a mix of disciplines?

For me...I am (now) a computer programmer by day, and a double reed (oboe/EH/d'amore) performer and teacher otherwise.   I maintain web sites for my performing group, as well as my teaching studio and freelance site.  I find the combination of skills quite interesting...any other thoughts on the topic?

Candi Morris
Oboe/EH/Oboe d'amore
Dayton, OH

Re: "Day Jobs"

I'm a fixed-income (bond) trader by day, and an oboist  by night!  I have one student as well, hope to get another soon--- once my quintet gets ourselves properly organized I will get a website going for us too.  I also play in a few community groups, and at a local university when they do shows or operas that need me.

What is the website for your performing group?

Darlene

http://www.ambiancetrio.com is the site for my trio.  I'm working on my own site ( www.compucandi.com ) for my teaching/freelance endeavors...

Candi Morris
Oboe/EH/Oboe d'amore
Dayton, OH

By day, I work in a Music and Arts Center. Instrument retail, yippee. I get all double reed customers deflected to me. It's really interesting to meet people who have played for less than five years though.

Claire Binkley
Oboe/English Horn
West Chester University

I'm a self employed woodwind repairer during the day. Helps to subsidise the fun of playing contra for most of the amateur orchestras & choral groups within about a 50 mile radius.

Ian

I teach privately (17 students right now) and at a couple of universities, as well as perform. So music is what I do, one way or another.

I also, as I've mentioned in other posts, maintain a website. (Sorry if I seem to promote this a lot ... mostly I just want any input from you double reed folk!) If you visit this page you'll see I list chamber group sites that include double reeds, so I hope anyone who reads this will let me know if they'd like their site added. (I have a list of oboe repair sites as well, so feel free to let me know about them also.)

Last edited by Patty (2006-08-31 09:42:39)

PEM
http://www.oboeinsight.com
AIM: Patioboe

I am a graphic designer by day for a non-profit that serves people with developmental disablities. I have recently purchased a Fox 450, so am promoting a side business, gecko creative, to help defray the costs! Love my new oboe!

Kristin
gecko creative
[url]http://www.gecko-creative.com[/url]

I currently have 7 oboe students, one of which is a college student--so I'm adjunct faculty.
I also play in a small semi-professional orchestra.  I direct the youth choir at my church. 
My BIG day job however--I homeschool my kids.

nice website, Candi!

Darlene

My primary day job is as an administrator for the Vermont State Colleges managing some distance learning and videoconferencing sites. I also maintain their web site and manage their internal information system.

In my other day job I  freelance for Vermont Public Television as a producer. I've worked on three concert videos over the past few years. All were a blast. I also do a bit of web work. I've also produced a ton of shorter segments for their various magazine shows.

Clearly, I need more time for reed making and practice. Ha!

www.wdeinzer.com

Walter Deinzer
Amateur Oboe and English horn

Greetings all,
I'm finding more and more Musicians having a day gigue.

I'm a technology Director for Skadden Arps by day....by night a Bassoonist in NY.

Compucandi, BTW....My primary data center is in Dayton, Ohio. How are the arts out there? Are you able to get grants or sponsorhip?

Best wishes for the weekend all.

Ecab

I find it so interesting that many double-reed folk are also involved in the technology front, whether that is maintaining their own web sites, or as their "day job" actually working in some aspect of the computer field.  And, I just love the fact that the web allows so many of us to promote our businesses in such a cost-effective, and worldwide, manner!

Candi Morris
Oboe/EH/Oboe d'amore
Dayton, OH

I am a chemist ( analytical chemist) by day and oboist, reedmaker, sometimes instrument repair person  whenever I am not in the lab. It is a great mental diversion, and helps exercise my left brain lobe, to even out the overworked right side......
I never had the courage to make music my livelyhood..I have a great deal of respect for those who do...

Bill Grant
Portsmouth Symphony

I work at a coffee shop for 11 hours a week.  I suppose that's my day job unless you count being a full time graduate student with a 12 hour assistantship commitment my day job, but that's all music related.  I don't have any students right now (not that I really have the time).

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I have a degree in bassoon/oboe/voice but due to some jaw injuries gave up public school music teaching. For the past 23 years I have been an English teacher. Due to some new therapies available, I am playing again... mostly oboe (my son is now the bassoonist). I find that the music is my centering in the whirlwind of  middle school kiddies and the demands of "No Child Left Untested."

On a seriuos note, I work at the a small K-12 building that suffered a tragic loss last fall when a young man walked into our building and shot our principal to death (I am sure you saw it in the news - everyone did). I not only witnessed part of the shooting, I gave first aide to my late friend. As you can imagine I have pictures to deal with. In addition, one of my junior boys was killed that same morning in a car accident. While my teaching peers are going to counseling and taking anti-depressents, I pick up my oboe and play Mozart, Beethoven, Dvorak and the like. It is the best form of therapy I know and no drug in the world can give you the same sense of center and peace.

At a recent grief meeting for staff (mandatory for all staff), someone asked when they would start to feel better and I said that I felt that I really didn't need the meetings anymore; I felt that I was doing fine. She responded back, "Yes, but you have your music." Wouldn't it be nice if everyone had "their music"?

Thanks for letting me share.

Lori Olson-Putz
Oboe/bassoon player
English teacher
Weston Public Schools

Last edited by Lori Olson-Putz (2007-03-23 05:21:19)

After a year as a music major, I decided that for me music had to be dessert - it couldn't be the whole meal. So I taught students with disabilities for many years and am now teaching math part-time at a community college. And music is still fun. When I think of the realities of a full-time professional's life, I know my choice was right for me. I appreciate the way that IDRS welcomes both amateurs and professionals.

Lori, I am sorry about your loss but so glad your music helps you with the grief. I know exactly what you mean, playing music is my way to cope with problems and my social outlet as well. I love the people I get to work with (mostly!)

I am currently a stay-at-home mom, but I have been a full time graphic designer and still do freelance jobs (mostly cd covers and posters nowadays). Most of my other time is music stuff - I'm the bell choir director at a church and I play in several local symphonys and a quintet.