Topic: flat G on PV series non-AK Loree

My wife is struggling with a flat G on what is otherwise a superb new Loree. She had this problem on a previous LF AK series, which we took to Paul Covey who did some tone hole work and fixed the problem nicely. When I removed the F# key though to look at the G tone hole, on that LF series, I could see that he undercut the tone hole on the bottom (toward the bell) side. It worked, but to me is counterintuitive. If a note is flat, wouldn't you want to undercut it's tone hole on the upper side, effectively moving the hole slightly up the tube? Can someone help me understand why Paul's technique worked?
Greg

Re: flat G on PV series non-AK Loree

Hi Greg:
The reason it raised the pitch is that by undercutting (even on the downwind side of the hole) Paul made the hole bigger, thus raising its pitch.  There are a number of reasons that Paul chose to do it this way. You can raise the pitch in one octave more than the other by opening the hole upwind or downwind.  Also, on the G tonehole (the top hole on the lower joint) there is not a lot of room to undercut the upwind side, because you quickly run into the joint socket.

There are two ways to modify a tonehole to raise the pitch of a note: One is to move it up the instrument, as you suggested.  The other is to simply make it bigger.

John Peterson