Topic: cases for bassoon

looking to buy a bassoon case for my daughter's new instrument - the array is mind boggling for me the cheque writing non bassoonist! Particularly taken by the wiseman and the marcus bonna cases  - they seem bomb proof which is vital for a young teem travelling abroad lots. Also what is the advice on bassoons in aircraft holds re temperature and humidity changes? Does any one know if either case is available in the uk - or other ideas?

Re: cases for bassoon

I would't trust any case in an aircraft hold.  The Wiseman case is probably the most sturdy externally.  I use the Marcus Bonna case myself and I find it to be the best backpack case I've tried.  It's not as rigid of a shell as the Wiseman though, but way way way lighter and much less expensive.  You might also check out the Bam case sold by www.millermarketingco.com for a good mix of comfort for the person carrying the bassoon and for protecting the instrument at a really reasonable price.  It's pretty light too, but substantially larger outside dimensions than most cases.  Those are the three cases I would most recommend.

Summary:

Wiseman tubular case:  pros: Most protection from the outside world, compact design.  cons: very expensive, heavy

Marcus Bonna case:  pros: compact design, comfortable backpack, good internal blocking, quite inexpensive.  cons: not as protective as competition, on backorder everywhere (expect to wait at least 6 months to get it)

Bam case:  pros: solid protection, fairly lightweight, very inexpensive.  cons: large outside dimensions, internal blocking leaves some to be desired for some bassoons.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

i have a soft case - kim walker bass bag. I find this case to be very good - it completely imbolishes the joints from each other, so they cannot rub or hit each other. Its very lite, and has a lot of storage. Obviously it cannot be taken on planes in the hold at least - although my teacher takes it an stores it in the overhead compartement

i am getting a wiseman actually - the kim walkers dont stay together for more than 2 or 3 years, and i am going to be getting a french whisper key added to my moosmann, and thus wiksemans are the only instrument gig bags that can take it, without useing a hard case

Nick Macorison
London based freelance bassoonist and enthusiast.

Dont ask me about reeds.....

Actually, the Wiseman case is a hard case. I've had mine for almost fifteen years, and it is still going strong. I have only had in the overhead compartments on airplanes. It might seem heavy in comparison to the Bam, etc. but compared to the original Jaeger case that came with my Puechner (purchased 1963, sold in 2000), it is quite compact and light. My current bassoon, a Fox 201D, came with an excellent case, but I still prefer to use my Wiseman. I would hope they are available in the UK, as they are manufactured there!

David Bell
Alexandria, VA  USA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

Any one out there know where I can source a Bonna case in the UK?

bonna case in the uk...hmm.......ian white - instrument repairer in oxford stocks them i think, alternatively, someone like paxmans horns of london can probably get one for you -they get in all of the bonna horn cases, so it stands to reason they can speacial order them.

bssn2 - the wiseman case is availiable in the UK - howard wiseman, the designer of them in fact went to my school!!! he also teaches fives there currently. I have just ordered one, and it should be coming at the start of october!!

regards

Nick

Nick Macorison
London based freelance bassoonist and enthusiast.

Dont ask me about reeds.....

Congratulations, Nick! I'm sure you'll enjoy your Wiseman case as much as have over the years!

David Bell
Alexandria, VA  USA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

Re Ian White in Oxford - does he keep odd hours - I cannot seem to get hold of him through the contct details on his web page. Keft messages and emails and crossing fingers

I have to have a holiday sometime! Back now - will contact you tomorrow when I've reminded myself what's in stock.

Ian

oops!- sorry. sometimes the hassled parent gene affects behaviour outside the home - daughter dear thinks buying a bassoon case is like picking up socks at M&S despite having taken over 6 months to choose and buy the instrument!

Bonna case chosen - arrived yesterday - very happy daughter freed from the poor bus service in the city on Bassoon days as it is ideal for cycling! Lighter than the Kim walker, and harder shelled - and the music pocket is foolcap sized! It is a shame the lead time for many people is so long - after posting here and finding about Ian White the process took under 2 weeks! Bravo!

.............now the problem is getting more stock in from Brazil - 3 or 4 months back-log on orders.

Ian

Congrats on your Marcus Bonna case.  I know I've been happy with mine now for three years!

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

nickmacorison wrote:

the kim walkers dont stay together for more than 2 or 3 years, and i am going to be getting a french whisper key added to my moosmann, and thus wiksemans are the only instrument gig bags that can take it, without useing a hard case

I used a Kim Walker bag with a bassoon that had a french whisper and it worked fine. I sold the bag because I didn't feel it protected the instrument well enough however.

Associate Professor of Bassoon, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Principal Bassoon, Winston-Salem Symphony
Bassoon, Zéphyros Winds
Associate Editor, IDRS.org