Topic: Reeds n' Stuff machines

I still use my old single Pfeiffer profiler, and remain quite satisfied with it, but I am in a position to purchase a profiler for university where I teach.  I have been looking at the Reeds n' Stuff profiler, which claims to get a fair tip, without the use of another dedicated piece of equipment.  I use a Rieger tip profiler myself, and have used the Rieger profiler.  Has anyone any experience or even second hand knowledge of the Reeds n. Stuff machine?  and also, anything about his gouger--also looking at that. Thanks very much
Brian Kershner
Central Connecticut State University

Re: Reeds n' Stuff machines

Hi, Brian. I can't tell if you're referring specifically to the Reeds n Stuff profiler or the tip profiler. I use a secondhand Popkin profiler but a Reeds n Stuff tip profiler that I purchased from Glenn West of West Double Reeds back in January. I've made up about 3 dozen reeds so far, about half of them blanks-in-progress, and I've had superb results with the tip profiler. It's extremely similar to the Rieger tip profiler, as far as I can tell, except that it costs quite a bit less and has two somewhat different characteristics that I consider an improvement on the Rieger machine: (1) the form on which the reed blades lie is flat on the bottom rather than shaped as on the Rieger; this seems to allow the reed to relax and not split so often (I've heard of some splitting issues with the Rieger form -- it's possible this has been improved!); and (2) the Reeds n Stuff tip profiler provides a perfectly even cut straight across the tip, whereas on the Rieger machines I've tried, there is a decided buldge in the center, as if the reed tip is being set up for a parallel-scrape configuration. I personally prefer the parallel scrape, and so have had to fiddle with my Reeds n Stuff machine to get it to operate the way I need it to (I've used a thin band of electrician's tape on the form, among other things). But I love the machine and Glenn was great about helping get started with it. I imagine their regular profiler is excellent, too. Good luck! -Thom

Re: Reeds n' Stuff machines

????????? ???????.??????? ??????? ???? ? ???? (3 ????????)?????????? ?????????? ????? ??? ??????? ? ???????????(????? ?????????????? ??????????? ??????)??????? ??????????!