Topic: Amati Contrabassoon

I was wondering about the quality of Amati contrabassoons. I was wondering how it compares to pricier models? I need to find a pretty good contra that is "affordable."

Bassoonist, Contrabassoonist, Composer.

Ask not what your reed can do for you, but what you can do for your reed.

Re: Amati Contrabassoon

Hi Again Hunter:

Take a look through these for info about contras and the Amati in particular.  http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/search.php?search_id=1264712372

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Hunter-
I purchased an Amati contra from the Woodwind and Brasswind 1 month ago.  I like it very much.  I had Leon Chodos, the contrabassoonist with the Utah Symphony try it and he was impressed.  It plays easily with a nice sound and even scale.  I have had to "experiment" with the fingerings but I am pretty comfortable now with the instrument.  The price was nice, and theWWBW sent it without shipping charges!  They also give you a 45 day trial, which is really nice.  I studied at USC where we played on an old Mollenhauer and this seems much better (of course, that was 28 years ago!).  I like the Dave Brundage reeds but have recently made reeds from Glotin cane (good) and RDG cane (I like the best - about $4.75 for a GSP stick). 
Good luck with the search!
Brian Peterson
bpeters@pol.net

Brian, did you by chance purchase the blemished instrument that they had?

Just wondering.

Tom

Tom -
I don't think so - where was the blemish? I went over it pretty well myself and with Leon Chodos.  The slide works fine and I can't find any dents in the metal or scratches, etc. in the wood.  Did you try one of them out or know someone who did?
Brian

If you had bought the blemished one it would have been stated as such in the item listing. I checked their website after I posted here and I couldn't find it. I worked on one or two when I was working in the shop there and just had to ask. It had mostly some key fit issues...

Hi Brian, I bought my Amati in January - and I really like it but just a bit frustrated with now with the notes being out of pitch - how are you finding open F and high C#, D and above?

I just picked one up myself so I have been reading threads on the Amati.

It seems solid, well built and came with two bocals. Nice, solid feeling instrument. I have to get some reeds - that is the key, I think. With my oboe I tended to favor medium-soft reeds, with the cor anglais that is a work in progress, but seems the same.

Do you generally prefer soft or medium soft on the contra? Not sure here... I would think soft would get muddy below B, but I may be wrong.

Cor anlgais and Contrabassoon enthusiast!

Amateur in all regards, but learning! I love unusual and unique instruments!

The Amati contrabassoon is a great instrument. I have played the new one in bassoon quartets and other settings. They have very good intonation and a surprisingly powerful sound. Considering the price they are outstanding value for money.

Oliver Ludlow

I've had my Amati contra since 1999. bought new from WWBW. It has been a very good instrument for my purpose (I've become quite popular with the local community orchestras!). I would say it is much more delicate than the more robustly built Fox, Heckel, Puechner and Mollenhauer contras, and has to be handled with care-- I had to have Holden McAleer remake one of the braces that broke a couple of years ago. The scale is pretty good, although some of the notes like open F and the ones at the "break" (G, G#, A to middle C) take a bit of work, but the overall sound is quite pleasant. I make my own bassoon reeds, but since the beginning I've been purchasing my contra reeds from Dave Brundage-- excellent reeds!

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

Brian:

That Mollenhauer contra at USC is, perhaps, older than you think. It was there in 1961 when I entered as a Freshman. One of the bassoon section rituals was to make any Freshman lug the contra (named Granny) around when we were on tour. Granny was heavy. I never played contra at USC, but vividly remember the instrument and how much it seemed to weigh.

George Adams
adamgeor@isu.edu

My Amati is really nice. One slight ding (my fault). The case and instrument are really nice and I can pedal low B/Bb easily. It has a nice, rich tone and looks sharp. The case is solid too.

Cor anlgais and Contrabassoon enthusiast!

Amateur in all regards, but learning! I love unusual and unique instruments!