Topic: Reed for a specific tone quality

This is kind of difficult to put into words but I'l try. I'm fairly new to the oboe but not to music; in the listening I've done for the purpose of developing a tone concept, I hear something specific in a few players that I'd like to emulate. Most of the players who get this targeted sound/tone quality are Swiss, with a couple others not Swiss, but all European. I'm trying to figure out if there is a "swiss scrape" that might be getting this particular tonal quality; it also sounds to me as though it might be achieved via a vowel shape in the mouth. Since I can't describe the tone itself, except that to my ears it is somewhat unique, and living in the US where I haven't heard this particular tonal quality even from the best players, it seems to me that perhaps it is due to a particular scrape or vowel shape in the oral cavity.

Does this ring a bell with anyone at all?

Thanks...

M

Re: Reed for a specific tone quality

Perhaps, you  should be more specific about the names of the musicians, the sources where we could hear them, etc. Did you hear them live or recorded? If latter, it's probably a question to  the sound recording engineers, however we can't deny the drastic difference between US and European styles of playing. Regarding the Swiss oboists, my guess, many of them studied with Heinz Holliger, who was a student of Pierre Pierlot, the  famous french musician; therefore they experience the great influence from a genuine french way of playing (the main stream seems to be inclined to the German style nowadays).
Just my guess, again.

Last edited by borriss (2009-06-09 00:23:17)

Re: Reed for a specific tone quality

Heinz Holliger is one of them, but not every recording I've heard has that particular tone quality. If I had a frequency meter I could probably say what it is I'm hearing, because I think it is frequency content that differs. It's not interpretation, or vibrato. More and more I'm suspecting it's a vowel shape in the oral cavity. If I figure it out I'll post back here with the results.
Thanks for your response.