Topic: mozart concerto: Ab-Bb trill w/out trill key??

Hi fellow bassoonists.  I am working on the first mvt. of the mozart concerto and I am stumped on how to successfully trill Ab-Bb without it sounding clumsy.  I do not have the trill key.  I know most of you out there have played this piece...any suggestions?

Arleigh Savage, Bassoon
Michigan State University

Re: mozart concerto: Ab-Bb trill w/out trill key??

Hi

Here's the one I used most successfully:

d
Alternate xxx|xxx Ab (so normal Ab fingering with the pinky Ab key) with xxx|oxx Ab

It takes a little bit of coordination, but I found it worked pretty well.

Matt Nickel
Bassoon and Contrabasoon, Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
MM, University of Michigan

Try:  normal Ab,  then close the half hole and trill middle finger right hand.   You may have to open your throat a little more (in other words voice it to sound right).

Mark Ortwein
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
OrtweinWoodwinds.com

Mr. Ortwein's is what I use.  You can also try fingering full Ab, then full Bb, then trill the third finger of your right hand.  You also need to voice this differently, I think open up to blow it flatter.  Thom Priest, a past teacher, said Mordechai Rechtman declared you've got to want it for this one to work.

Arliegh, In place of a trill I recommend making a turn using all regular fingerings: 16th notes B-flat, A-flat, G, A-flat.

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

I also just do a turn.  I don't have the trill key and the turn sounds good.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Thank you for all the suggestions!  I have to say that the turn is my favorite solution, but I am working to try to make the trill sound natural.  My professor and Bernard Garfield use the trill, so I'm thinking in the fall that is what I'll be expected to do, but who knows, if the turn sounds good it probably will pass without a fuss.

Arleigh Savage, Bassoon
Michigan State University

I'm going to cheat and get a Ab/Bb trill put on my 601 as soon as I buy it ; )

Bassoonist, Contrabassoonist, Composer.

Ask not what your reed can do for you, but what you can do for your reed.