Topic: Mouth protector

This is a rather unusual request, but any ideas would be appreciated.  I have a very uneven dental line on my bottom front teeth, and very sharp edges on my top front teeth.  This often creates abrasions on the inside of my lips where my embouchure presses.  Is there any sort of dental fitting, perhaps like those things that come with those teeth whitening kits, that I could wear during playing and that would make it easier on my poor mouth?  I suppose I could go to a dentist and have something made, but was wondering if there was a cheaper solution.

Re: Mouth protector

Many Florists sell a tape called Floratape.   It has a slight waxy covering to it.   It usually comes in green or white.  Use the white!!!    You might buy a roll from your local florist, and give it a try.  Just tear off as much as you need (an inch or so) and use one or two thicknesses of it.   I know a few clarinetists who use it.    It not only works, but when you smile at your friends, they'll get a kick out of it!!   One roll should last you a year or more.....

Yep floral tape works well as long as you dry your teeth before you apply.  You can get a lot more practice time.  I got three rolls at Michaels for 4 bucks.

You're on!  I'm making a trip to Michaels next week!

Well, I see it has been a year since I said I would go into Michaels for the floral tape.  I finally did it, and wish I had done it last year.  The tape, although a bit tricky to put on, has completely solved my "teeth biting through my lip" problem.  I feel I could play for hours and hours (as long as my embouchure would hold out) and not be bothered.  I'm still practicing how to get the stuff on without taking 5 minutes in front of a mirror, tho.......  I thank everyone for this suggestion!