Topic: Other Hobbies?

Whoo hoo, first off-topic post!

Since most double-reedists seem to be very broad people with many other interests, I was thinking we could list them and see if other share the same hobbies.

I enjoy scuba-diving and the travelling that comes with it.  Anything computer-related can really suck up my time, including listening to classical music off of my computer.  I also like to play other instruments besides my bassoon, and I have played (to date) the flute, baritone, bass trombone, marching bass drum, piano, and violin.

-TKD3

Associate Principal Bassoon/Contrabassoon, Kansas City Symphony

Re: Other Hobbies?

I like to play RPG games on computer, or on PlayStation.  I also like to read a lot.  In the summer we take our boat out for skiing, swimming, and sunning.  I also spend WAY too much time (and money!) bidding on items on E-Bay.  Technology is turning me into a computer potato; I need to get outside more!

I am in one group where I play tenor sax; we also have a band at work, where we play mostly in a United Way-cheerleading-type function (the CEO of my company is VERY into United Way).  I play both oboe and sax for this group-  plus I get to play music on company time; what could be better?

-Darlene

Darlene

OK, I'll join in..

In my rare spare time, I like reading, learning new languages (last language I have learned is Swedish). Now I speak and understand German, English, French, and Swedish, my mother tongue is Swiss German (a German dialect which is not easily understood by all Germans smile ) My next language to learn will be either Italian or Spanish.. *dream*

Then, I like to surf the internet and to make homepages (very easy html-code, nothing advanced). For example my own homepage, or the homepage of my oboe repairman. Both are available only in German until now, perhaps this will change in time..

For holidays, I prefer to make bicycle-tours. I have cycled from my home in Switzerland to Vienna (Austria), and on another trip from my home in Switzerland to Edinburgh (Scotland), of course with the help of a ferry boat between the Netherlands and England.. Last year, we stayed in Switzerland and made a 'Tour de Suisse'. It is amazing, how much there is to discover in this small country, even if one is at home there, and is supposed to know 'everything' smile

Kathrin Brun
[url=http://www.oboist.ch]http://www.oboist.ch[/url]

http://members.aol.com/cedarcanoo/spettey2.htm
Anybody else ever dabble in the above?

I think my email signature sums my hobbies up best:

Kristin Terpstra, EIT
Profession: Civil Engineer
Passion: Oboe & English horn
Community: King County Search Dogs, N7WHD
Home: Bothell, Washington

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill

I like to knit, garden, cook and read.  Also have freshwater tropical fish to tend to.

Ceci Lagarenne

Greetings, well-rounded double-reeders!  My other musical activities involve serving as a cantor/soprano soloist and flutist for my church, and I honk around a bit on the organ (although not very well).  Non-musical interests include animals, esp. cats and birdwatching; nature and gardening; spirituality, healthy living, and spending too much time online :-)  I work as a registered nurse in a trauma/surgical intensive care unit in order to pay the bills; my music is my escape from the stresses of the hospital.

Carolyn Hiestand
oboe/EH
Michigan, USA

Hello All,

I enjoy ( whenever I get the chance) going down to the range and shooting my .45 Colt APC and Glock .40, and an occasional round of skeet.

Bill Grant
Professional Chemist
Amateur Oboe

No.

I live and breathe oboe, there is no other point to live.

...well!

I am a large anime fan and am hitting the Baltimore Otakon next month. I also enjoy languages like Quaeki does, and I read and write a lot too. I work in a Music and Arts Center, edit papers, and mediate family arguments.

Does that count?

Claire Binkley
Oboe/English Horn
West Chester University

Hi all!

Other than an oboist, I'm also a bassoon player.  I am currently starting a double reed ensemble with some friends I made from John Mack camp.  I enjoy arranging music for chamber ensembles, listening to music, and conducting.  Some of my non-musical interests include marine biology (I work at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro), chemistry, and visual arts.  I'm going to begin work on a photography portfolio entitled The Double Reed Project, which will include pictures of double reed musicians doing various musical activities, i.e. reedmaking, practicing, teaching, playing in double reed or orchestral ensembles, playing their double instrument, playing other members of the double reed family, adjusting their instruments, etc.  I'm also a Senior Girl Scout beginning work on my Gold Award, which is to organize, direct, and carry out a children's orchestral concert with a youth orchestra I was once a member of and am very familiar with.  I like to keep myself busy with youth orchestras (I've been in OCJO, PSYO, the Junior Philharmonic, Peter Meremblum Youth Chamber Orchestra, and Claremont Young Musicians Orchestra, and participated in the 2005 All Southern as principal chair in the Honors Orchestra).

I'll stop talking now and let another double reed musician have their say!

aznoboegrl cool
oboist & bassoonist

I don't have time for hobbies...I'm actually typing with my right arm cradling my bassoon

Other than studying oboe with my oboe teacher, I play oboe in El Camino Youth Symphony, and I started an oboe and flute duo with my friend and we perform at church and at parties and dinners and things like that. I also play oboe in my school's top band and I've played oboe in some competitions my band has been in where they choose the best musicians from each band and I was chosen. I play english horn also and I teach oboe to 2 6th grade girls.
Now for other than oboe related activities..I play piano a lot and I'm learning guitar. I sing.
Other than music..I love journalism and photography. I'm sports editor for my school's newspaper editor staff and I love making videos and taking photos also. And, I love figure skating and dance and I do those in my free time.
Really though, my hobbie is oboe..my life revolves around music and oboe.

Well, my first and foremost priority is always the oboe. I love it more than the other things I do, and therefore I focus mostly on that. I do, however, love reading. I love good poetry. I am fascinated, as several people have already said, with other languages. I've been learning Spanish for several years (almost as long as I've been playing the oboe) and the next language I want to tackle is Italian. I also love watching good movies. Knitting is always fun too.

Hi, all!

Besides the bassoon, I also teach other wind intruments. (Trumpet, trombone, horn, tuba, clarinet, saxophone, recorder.) Now you can probably figure out where my internet nick comes from (I note a similar origin in flautbois above). When I started using it, I only played two instruments.

But this is a thread about hobbies, so I make computer games. It's fun, and varied. (Designing the game, creating the graphics for it, animating it, making music and some programming to put it all together.)

Last edited by Trumgottist (2006-08-02 16:10:21)

I'm so amazed by the variety of non-musical things double reed players have listed!!

I suppose you have to have some other kind of outlet though... for some on here I know that music is just that.

As a bassoon/piano double major I don't have all that much time to do all of the things I would love to, but I do get some things in. Any other bassoonists/pianists who have played the PDQ Bach "Sonata Abassoonata"?

In terms of other musical activities, besides on bassoon and piano (or both together), I play trombone in the university jazz band and in an all-women's jazz band (the "Hip Chicks")!

Non-musically speaking, I love to sew (clothing, drapes, everything) and do other crafty things, but sometimes it feels too much like reed-making, lol smile ! Outdoor activities are great, like biking and hiking (but I miss living by the mountains). I also love to play with our dogs!! We have a miniature dachshund (Oscar) and a german shepherd (Jessie).

Any other dog lovers out there??

Hi, everyone!   So far we've run the gamut from hiking/biking to target shooting to languages to sewing -- yikes!  I think that playing reed instruments just gets the ol' juices flowing, and makes you more alert and involved in the world around you.

I have an interest in native plants -- the central Texas Hill Country has one of the highest concentrations of endemic (peculiar to this geographic area) plants in the country, if not the world.  I am a volunteer docent at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center (http://www.wildflower.org) -- a great place to visit if you're ever in Austin!

Alexisj, I have no dogs, but a very nice cat!  He doesn't like it very much when I play, though.http://haus.org/graphics/VinnieHutchB.jpg

Musically, I spend more time singing and playing recorder & clarinet than playing bassoon & dulcian -- but I love playing bassoon when I get the chance!   There are always distractions & new toys, though...  I just got a great-bass recorder, which opens up whole new worlds of ensemble music!

I do early music in several ensembles, and am the assistant director of the Texas Toot early music workshop.  Church stuff: I'm the handbell director and assistant music coordinator.  I've been directing a community band in a little town about 30 miles away for the past year (but this year, I'm going to get to play again - hooray!).

I love words and languages (German and Czech being the two I've spent the most time on).  I like to dabble in crafts, as someone else mentioned:  origami and making jewelry (earrings) being the 2 most recent endeavors.  I guess most of all, I like to learn/try different things.

By day, I'm a data modeler (I design databases) for a state agency.  My after-hours time is pretty much all spent on music...

Last edited by srichter1 (2006-08-14 18:02:40)

Susan Richter :: Austin, TX :: bassoon, dulcian

Steve, that canoe is stunning!!  Oboe and English horn have been my passion since HS, but I've also been riding motorcycles since I was 16.  My uncle was one of the founders of the BMW Owners of America, so they have been in our family for as long as I can remember.  My current motorcycle is a R1200C Montana...awesome fun.  This was a fun topic to read through.  What a variety of interests.

I started out as a flute player before I switched to the bassoon, so I like to take my flute and play chamber music at church sometimes. (It keeps me practicing).

Aside from that I love gardening. I have several lavender plants that I started from seeds that are about to bloom now. I also have several orchids.

I really enjoy cooking and creating new dishes, and playing with my miniature poodle.

Probably best of all, I like to read. I'm especially fascinated with anything written about Beethoven. I have the complete set of letters translated by Emily Anderson...I don't know how many times I've read them.

"Prince, what you are, you are through the accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been many princes, and there will be thousands more. But there is only one Beethoven!" - Ludwig van Beethoven

My wife and I are both potters. We owned and operated the Leonardtown Pottery here in Southern Maryland but I set it aside when I began working as Director of the Department of Aging for the county. Sally does beautiful Raku work and I like making attractive functional pottery, especially pierced work. Now that I have retired we are gearing up for another run at it. We just set the wheels up on the side porch that overlooks Breton Bay this week and I plan to throw my first pieces in many years this weekend. Hopefully the magic will still be there and we will be able to offer our pottery for sale in time for the holiday season.

Gene Carter, Owner
Linden Reeds

Mad4oboe wrote: Other than studying oboe with my oboe teacher, I play oboe in El Camino Youth Symphony <snip>]

Hi Mad4oboe!  I played in ECYS many years ago and still have fond memories of playing the English horn solo in Franck's D Minor Symphony as one of my first big solos ever...what a great way to get started with orchestral playing...I hope you're enjoying it a ton.

When I'm not playing music or singing, I like to knit, read, garden, bicycle, hike, and drag string around for my cats to chase.  And I bake a mean blackberry cobbler.  Sometimes I even share it with my husband. tongue

Darlene Franz, M. M.
Seattle, WA
Oboes, Historical Oboes, Recorders

Last edited by dbfranz (2006-08-11 00:53:17)

Does reed  making count? Ha! Actually, since I make the $$ that keeps the roof over my head as an administrator in the local college system, oboe is the primary other interest. I also work in video production and while that is for pay, it is also a passion. Music and images are a wonderful combination. Living in rural Vermont makes activities like hiking, biking, snow shoeing in winter almost a must. Finally, there's travel. I have always had a wanderlust and wish I had more time and financial resource for more.

Walter Deinzer
Amateur Oboe and English horn

I am, in addition to a multi-woodwind performer/bassoonist by preference, an above average golfer, and, having recently retired from my public school Band Director career smile, am anticipating even more golf practice.  I also teach private lessons, and will be working with the Woodwind students at the Governor's School for Arts and Humanities this year.  Of course, I will maintain my Bassoon playing in several local Orchestras.

I have three children, and I homeschool my two oldest (my youngest is only 1 1/2).

I love to cook, garden, knit, and read also.

Well my musical personality is bizarrely divided between composing and playing bassoon. One might say I am a composer masquerading as a bassoonist, but at times the opposite seems true. Anyway I am professionally engaged in both, so it seems I cannot make one the hobby of the other.

Hobbies: road bicycling, hiking, photography, computer games, downhill skiing.

(In point of fact: composing and playing bassoon as a combination is not really all that strange. There are a number of notable musicians who do both!)

Ryan M. Hare, Assistant Professor of Music
Bassoon, Composition, Theory
Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99163
509-335-4813

While my profession is all about oboe/English horn (either teaching or playing), my main hobby is oboe related; I maintain an oboe website. Hmmm. Is that a bad sign? I wonder! The website keeps me pretty busy, and I absolutely love working on it. There are always new things to be added. (And complaints from people to be dealt with.) Other than that I love to read and I sometimes dabble in poetry.

While I'm here let me remind folks to check out the listings of personal double reed sites, professional double reed listings and college, university and conservatory double reed instructor listings! I'm always happy to make changes or additions ... well ... when I'm not yelled at anyway! smile

PEM
http://www.oboeinsight.com
AIM: Patioboe