Topic: help

I'm a freshman in college, and I started playing the bassoon almost 2 years ago.  After a horrible experience with the instrument my university rented out to me, a Lesher, I bought a Fox model 220 from a student that no longer plays bassoon.  I don't know much about bassoon, but it's playing well for me so far.  My problem is that for some reason I seem to have problems with intonation on f and sometimes e naturals (4th line and 3rd space).  This was a major problem with the Lesher, but I still have some difficulty with it on the Fox as well.  It's either in tune or way off, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Re: help

Hi:
Congratulations on your new bassoon.  You've got a great one.  If the F and E are significantly out of tune, that usually indicates a weak reed and those notes are collapsing and going flat.  Is your high register weak too?  Is the E better if you add the low G key?  That can be used in an emergency but the best solution is to clip the end of your reed with a knife or end nippers if you have a pair.  Take as little off as you can and if it gets better but is not quite there yet, take more off.  This is the most likely problem but I have seen bassoons with tape in those holes and that can affect the pitch too.  Good luck.  Let us know if that works.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Re: help

I certainly agree with Kent on this one. The fact that your problem notes have carried over to your new instrument would confirm the issue is with a reed that lacks enough substance to support those notes. You may find that even after trimming the tip of the reed that there is still not enough support through the core of the reed to support proper pitch. If this is the case you need to upgrade the reeds you are using. You might give Dale Clark's reeds a try.

Gene Carter, Owner
Linden Reeds