Topic: Thunemann Shaper?

I am looking for a Thunemann Shaper or shaper tip.  Does anyone know where I can buy one?  I know there are some floating around, but I haven't been able to track down a supplier.

Barton Cane- Precision gouged shaped profiled and scored bassoon cane
www.bartoncane.com

Re: Thunemann Shaper?

Hello David. You can buy it here. http://www.frankundmeyer.de/  This is the double reed shop in Berlin. Good luck.

Last edited by karabas (2009-08-26 10:35:10)

Bassoonist and contrabassoon solo in Royal Opera House "La Monnaie" Brussels

It's a shame that they don't post more details at their website -- photos, shaper tip dimensions, etc. It's hard to guess exactly what one would be buying! One thing I do know: Ludwig oboes are amazing instruments. They are somewhat popular in the Philadelphia area....

This is shaper's and reed's dimensions.

Thunemann shape
Tip ~15,90 mm
Waist ~ 9,80 mm

ROHRLÄNGE
Blade =27 mm
Tube =29 mm
Reed =56 mm

Christopher Brodersen wrote:

Thom -

What makes them so great?

Christopher: I've only heard and seen two Ludwig oboes in person, both within the last year or so. There is just a built-in depth and richness to the sound that I don't think I've heard often in other oboes. The craftsmanship is also utterly perfect, incredibly fastidious. I think they are comparatively expensive horns, too -- but still not as much as a top pro bassoon, of course! -Thom

Christopher Brodersen wrote:

Thanks, Thom--I had never heard of that brand. Any pros playing them?

I know of two local to me: Peter Smith, Associate Principal Oboe of the Philadelphia Orchestra, and his mother, Rheta Smith, whom I would characterize as a semi-retired professional (she really is a terrific player in her own right!). I'm sure there are more, though I'd wager they are mostly in Europe. -Thom

Karabas- could you tell me a bit more about the shape?

By waste are you referring to the collar or the thinnest part of the shape? If the latter, where on the shape does that occur (close to the collar or farther down)?

Am I right in saying the shape is mostly straight (not much curvature)?

Does the shape or reed seem wide in the middle? 9.8 seems really wide...

thanks for any help
Kevin

Hello Kevin, give me your mail and I will send you two photos of this shaper in comparison with Rieger 1a. I can write you but I can't join the pictures by the way of IDRS messaging. Yes, it's quite wide in the middle. It's not my shaper and I've never had it. Some friend of mine gave me these dimensions and photos.

Last edited by karabas (2011-04-12 16:09:34)

Karabas, do you know if this is a Rieger manufacturered shaper tip? I went to the Frank und Meyer website and was unclear as to whether it would match my Rieger handle.  Thanks, Charles McCracken

Charles, I don't know what exactly is selling Frank und Meier but the shaper tip I'm talking about is made by Rieger and will definitely  fit your handle smile If you give me your mail I will send you some pictures.