Topic: Db-Eb trill

Hello all,

I'm playing Alfred Reed's Armenian Dances Part II in band, and there is a trill from low Db to Eb in the third movement.
I've been scouring the internet and cannot find anything! Please help! Band director is a trumpet player!

Thanks,
Heather

Re: Db-Eb trill

Is it exposed?  If you MUST make it a trill you can have a friend help you:

Have your friend press and hold the low Db key down when you play the Db.  Trill the Eb key.  Bingo, Db-Eb trill.  This of course is not terribly practical, but it's the simplest mechanical way to do it.

You can have a key installed on the Db key rod that you can press with your thumb at the same time as the low C key that creates an alternate Db touch, but that might be more than you're willing to do for one trill.  I have it on my horn and it doesn't get used much, but when it does it's worth having.

I'm not sure of any other way to make it work, but that's the way to trill down there, trill the Eb key while the Db fingering is static.

If it's not exposed just fake it.  big_smile

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Thanks for the reply Trent - and yes, it is exposed, so we will have tons of fun employing your trick! Thanks again, you saved me from band director ire!!

-H

I wonder if there's a way to rig up a temporary key to create an alternate Db touch you access with your left thumb.  Creative use of tape and a plastic spoon?  (don't take that too seriously)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Nawice!  Sorry Trent, but now that you've suggested that, I gotta try that!  It'll be hilarious!

Matt Nickel
Bassoon and Contrabasoon, Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
MM, University of Michigan

The old Polisi bassoons had a lever on the rod for the thumb to do this.  If the music doesn't descend below the Db, or if there is sufficient rest (I know the piece but don't recall the place.) you can wedge the Db key open at the lower end of the rod with a small piece of wood, pen cap, etc. and finger the Eb.  The 2nd bassoon part in John Barnes Chance's "Variations on a Korean Folk Song" benefits from this technique as well.  I actually keep a small wedge of wood (that looks like a miniature door stop) in my case for licks like this....

Happy Bassooning!

Very easy to play this trill, if you have additional keys. See photo.

http://fotos.hispavista.com/presentacionAlbum/visualizarFoto/index.phtml?idFoto=561655&nombreAlbum=fagot&orden=

Thumb to press an extra key DO#, trill - press the little finger on the key Eb

Last edited by mikhail (2009-10-12 03:17:43)