Topic: Ob/EH fingerings - Mother Goose Suite

I'm not sure what heading to post this as there is no heading for oboe and English Horn fingerings.

I wanted to share some great fingerings I learned while preparing the oboe and English horn parts for the orchestral version of Ravel's "Mother Goose Suite."  Both suggestions are in movement III - "Laideronnette..."

First oboe:  Rehearsal #4   -   To play this very awkward passage - keep the left pinkie down on BOTH keys of Eb and Ab for the ENTIRE passage.  (First 3 notes are C# D# C#).

English horn:  Rehearsal #5   -   To play this very awkward passage - follow the directions as above. 

It is *AMAZING* at how much easier this is!

English horn:  Rhearsal #7   -   Gb - Db followed by Fork F Db Eb, etc.  - Play the Gb half note, but change the regular (long) Db fingering to ONLY using the right hand index finger for the Db for the entire passage. 

English horn:   when sluring up to high D anytime through these passages, lift the left index finger.

VIOLA! 

Credits go to Lou Rosenblatt, Merrill Greenberg, and Jeff O'Donnell   - - - Merci Beaucoup!

Re: Ob/EH fingerings - Mother Goose Suite

Thanks Marsha.  An EH fingering thread would be very helpful indeed.

I wonder how many EH players when playing high D use the C# key instead of the C key.  After I learned that trick many years ago from Steve Lickman, the Nutcracker & William Tell Overture passages were much better in tune.

Oboe, English horn:  Amarillo Symphony, Chamber Music Amarillo, Amarillo Opera, Shepherd's Trio
Blog:  http://janet.thelaniers.net/
Composition & Arranging Website:  http://janetlanier.com
"Ever notice how orchestra pits shrink through the run of a show?"

Re: Ob/EH fingerings - Mother Goose Suite

There are very good "long" fingerings for high C# and D.

For the C#:
LH)  1/2 2 3     RH)  1   3 C#

For the D:
LH)  1/2 2 3     RH)    2 3 C#

To express this another way, the high C# is fingered the same as third space C# but lift the middle finger of the left hand. The high D is also the same as third space C#, but the first finger of the right hand is lifted. These fingerings are great for octaves! The sound with these fingerings is very full and the pitch is quite stable.
Take care,
Phil Feather

Principal oboe, Chamber Orchestra at St. Matthews