Re: Bassoon supports--recommendations?

Chris B, Those appliances are useful, but please consider adding an adjustable spike to your instrument. That is the only way to completely eliminate weight on the left arm and hand. Adding a spike to an instrument should only be done by a trusted repair person. The best design is to have it fixed to the instrument rather than attached to the butt cap.

While going through your physical therapy. I suggest taking your instrument to a therapy session to let them see what you do when you play. They might see something that suggest a simpler fix.

In my case with a similar problem in my right arm, the culprit was the act of scraping reeds! The solution was to always brace my arm on a desk top or table when scraping. I sincerely thank our valuable IDRS Dr. William Dawson for the solution. Best wishes, Chris W.

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

B. Chris, If you wish, send me your e-mail address and I'll relate what I little I know. W. Chris

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

I have been using the Winc leg hook for years and I love it.  I first tried it because my left hand was going completely numb every time I played.  The leg hook eliminated the problem immediately.  I don't need to support the weight of the bassoon with my left hand at all.

Also, it is not mounted with screws to the horn.  The boot of your horn rests in a felt lined cup and is secured in place by a screw through the neck strap ring.  I was worried that the ring would snap off, but I have been using mine for 3 years with no problems.  No need to screw anything into the wood of the instrument itself.

Nancy

"There are 2 means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

It is a screw through the neck strap ring, and a balance hanger mount only would not work. The Winc comes with a stand, as well, so one is best off using a separate bag-- none of the system will fit in the instrument case.

I recently acquired a Winc used, and I have been very pleased. As Nancy states above, it does the weight off the left hand, a real necessity for those of us who are "more seasoned"!

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

I just posted a discussion on ergonomics of bassoon supports under the instrument shop.  I discuss a shock cord I use for reducing the moment of the bassoon trying to fall to the left, but obviously a professional health person should be able to diagnose and provide therapy for a particular problem.  I think we should all be conscious of strains when they first occur.  Trying to work through it is not a good idea because we still have to do the same motions to play our bassoon.

In response to Dr Tim and others, I've just uploaded my thoughts and recommendations on bassoon supports and ergonomics on the 'Instrument' section of this forum.

Bill

Dr. Bill Dawson, bassoonist and teacher
IDRS medical consultant
Past President, Performing Arts Medicine Assoc.
Author of "Fit as a Fiddle: The Musician's Guide to Playing Healthy"

Hey bill thanks for telling me i have visit all these recomandation these are quite impressive like some of them is quite new and i have never heard about them..........

http://www.marketplacewellnesscenter.com/2011/07/26/marketplace-physical-therapy-corona-gives-four-strategies-to-treat-osteoporosis/

Bill - wasn't able to locate your post?! Where, again, specifically?! (Am I dense?!)  Jim

James Jeter, D.M.A., NYC Bassoonist
"To love human beings is still the only thing worth living for; without that love, you really do not live." Soren Kierkegaard
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mahatma Gandhi  "Mach' es kurz! Am Juengsten Tag ist's nur ein Furz!" Goethe

Jim an others - it's posted in "The Instrument Room" at http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/viewtopic.php?id=8062

Dr. Bill Dawson, bassoonist and teacher
IDRS medical consultant
Past President, Performing Arts Medicine Assoc.
Author of "Fit as a Fiddle: The Musician's Guide to Playing Healthy"