Topic: Oboe Reed Profilers - Which Machines are the Best

I am investigating oboe reed profilers.

Although I do not think these machines are a panacea, I do think they have the potential to reduce reed to reed variability. And I cannot think of a more difficult area to control than the final or near final scrap of a reed.

After carefully choosing the right cane, gouging it to spec, carefully shaping and wrapping the cane on a staple/tube, the final scrap has I think, the most chance for inadvertent error.

I do not think any brand of profiler is the "best". But it is difficult to tell which will suit an oboist's needs. Also, there are customer service issues such as delivery time, custom templates, cost, etc.

Personally, I would prefer a profiler that scraps the entire reed, including the back to near playing quality - then follow with the inevitable adjustments and readjustments to playing requirements ! 

Does anyone have experience in this realm ?

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Steve

Re: Oboe Reed Profilers - Which Machines are the Best

I have tried to find a profiler other than Reeds 'n Stuff(kind of pricey) and have had little luck. Stay away from Prestini. Used to use a Pfeiffer long ago and it worked well, but no longer available.

ReedDaddy.com

Having a profiler that scrapes even the back to near playing quality is impossible, since the scrape of the blade is determined by the template, which can only move back and forth, and can not cut directly up and down motion.

If you tried to profile the back, it would have to stop right behind the heart, and then you would have to cut off the shaving because the profiler can't make a direct cut upwards, and if you tried to pull it directly upward, then you'd probably tear the cane, which would tear off the entire heart as well.

I worked with a friend of mine to send in several samples of my reeds to Udo to make a template off of my scrape, and it came back with too much out of the center of the tip. If you were going to try again, I'd suggest leaving a HUGE hump in the middle of the tip, which you would then have to refine by hand after profiling.

Cooper Wright

The profiler I used most often in the past(Pfeiffer) allows you to scrape the entire length of the reed. Of course, you still have to finish the reed by hand and put in your stop marks and such. No machine can consistently make a perfectly finished reed due to the inconsistencies of gouging and the cane itself. There's always a little adjusting to do. But, a good profiler will get you very close.

ReedDaddy.com

Bahboo2000

I have a Pfeifer oboe reed profiler that I will sell for $500.00.

Hey Bahboo, do you still have that profiler?

ReedDaddy.com

Yes I do.

I got to see a demonstration of the KGE oboe reed making machine at the conference this summer. I must say I was pretty amazed at the details and variations it is able to provide. It is pretty expensive though...

In my opinion Kunibert Michel machines are the best you can get!

www.oboe-shop.de

Agreed with frogger1403! But there are 2 more swiss makers who produce even better machines but really expensive! One goes up to 4000 Euros...

Thanks for all the comments. Here is more information to hopefully stimulate further conversation:

I put together a list of available oboe reed profilers and VERY approximate pricing. Prices do not include shipping, taxes, custom profiles or accessories. All pricing is subject to change and may include dealer mark ups. Check each maker for the current price. The list is in alphabetical order and does not imply any recommendation.

Here is the list, in alphabetical order, with all prices in US Dollars:
Kunibert Michel     - $1900
Prestini                - $1800
Reeds and Stuff    - $1600
Rieger                 - $1600
TA Machines         - $1900

I am sure I missed some manufacturers so please, add to the list.

Also, here are a few other discussions links of interest:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Oboe-2282/2010/11/Oboe-Reed-Making-Machines.htm

http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/viewtopic.php?id=9083

All double reed equipment and techniques are highly subjective. And oboe reed profilers are no exception.

If you have an insight or opinion on oboe reed profilers, please contribute.

Also, for clarification, state if you are creating an American or European scrap oboe reed.

The pricing you show seems to be a little off:

http://www.oboe-shop.de/en/search/results.html?keywords=Profiling
All shown prices include VAT so take away 19%(!)  of the shown prices, that gives you:

Reeds n Stuff:
1.400USD

Rieger:
1.300USD

Michel:
1.770USD

Best regards
Heiko

Last edited by frogger1403 (2011-03-23 08:10:29)

www.oboe-shop.de

Thanks for the update Heiko.

I think the two most important outcomes for using an oboe reed profiler are:

1) More consistent reed results and

2) Time savings. The less time you spend making reeds the more time you can spend practicing.

ARE THERE ANY OBOE PLAYERS THAT CAN MAKE COMMENTS OR RECOMMENDATIONS ON OBOE REED PROFILERS ?

I live in the Chicago area so if you are interested, we can arrange a meeting.

Any input I receive I will condense in a report to this thread.

Thanks.

Steve
(847) 328-7127
Chicago Area

There is a brief IDRS interview of oboe reed profiler maker Udo Heng of Reeds n' Stuff.

It starts on page 95 of the IDRS Publication The Double Reed, Vol. 33 No. 1.

The cover announces the 39th Annual Conference at The University of Oklahoma, June 22-26, 2110.

A pdf is available at: http://www.idrs.org/

Click on The Double Reed cover picture to the far left, currently on the IDRS home page.

Last edited by oboist1 (2011-05-01 17:58:10)