Topic: Brain Surgery

This is my first post in the forum (thanks, Delmar!).

I am seeking to trade stories with any wind player who has undergone brain surgery and later returned to performing a wind instrument.

Is there anyone else out there like me?

Thank you,
Alexander Miller
oboe
Grand Rapids Symphony

Re: Brain Surgery

I have.  I am not a double reed player (I'm on this list because my son plays oboe) but I am a freelance classical flutist/piccoloist.  I had transphenoidal surgery - behind the upper lip up through the nasal cavity - for removal of a pituitary tumor 11 years ago.  It completely destroyed my embouchure and I had to rebuild it over the course of several years.  Please feel free to email me privately.

Maria Ramey
Flute/Piccolo
Mom to Tristan, oboist, 7 years old

Thank you Maria.  I can't access your email address.  Could you send it to me directly?

Aledude@comcast.net

Youra's post is a good basic (non-medical) description, but a bit off topic -- initial poster likely has been through all this as a patient.
As an orthopaedist who never operated above the neck, I cannot comment on the question

Dr. Bill Dawson, bassoonist and teacher
IDRS medical consultant
Past President, Performing Arts Medicine Assoc.
Author of "Fit as a Fiddle: The Musician's Guide to Playing Healthy"

I have.  I am not a double reed player (I'm on this list because my son plays oboe) but I am a freelance classical flutist/piccoloist.  I had transphenoidal surgery - behind the upper lip up through the nasal cavity - for removal of a pituitary tumor 11 years ago.  It completely destroyed my embouchure and I had to rebuild it over the course of several years.  Please feel free to email me privately.
samuelson90
Cystic Fibrosis Support