Topic: Alpine Symphony 1st page (Contrabassoon)

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this on...
Anyway, in a couple weeks I am playing the Alpine Symphony with a local orchestra on Contrabassoon. It is lots of fun. Once it gets into the fast section, I have no problem, but the first page is a SON-OF-A... I am looking for advice on holding that damn Bb 19 measures, and how to play the triplet 4ths without cracking. Thanks!

-Desperate Contrabassoonist

Bassoonist, Contrabassoonist, Composer.

Ask not what your reed can do for you, but what you can do for your reed.

Re: Alpine Symphony 1st page (Contrabassoon)

Hi, Hunter
Ya gotta sneak breaths where you need them - there's no escaping that! It's ridiculous!
You know, I read somewhere that Strauss had been shown a new device for wind players that enabled them to sustain notes way beyond normal capacity. It operated with a foot pump and a tube that went into the players mouth. Don't know if it really worked.
Where are you playing ALPINE? Do they have a Heckelphone and a Heckelphone player? I've played that part with five different orchestras.

Harry Searing
Bassoon, Contrabassoon, Heckelphone
Faculty: Manhattan School of Music Precollege Division (NY), Montclair State University (NJ) &  CUNY (NY)
President, LRQ Publishing - featuring the bassoon music of Francisco Mignone

Re: Alpine Symphony 1st page (Contrabassoon)

Oh ok. That's what my teach said too. I'm playing it with the Rainier Symphony, a local semi-pro orchestra.

Bassoonist, Contrabassoonist, Composer.

Ask not what your reed can do for you, but what you can do for your reed.