Topic: Nielsen Maskarade overture shake E4-G#4

Can anyone give me a good fingering for this passage in the overture?  I cannot get the G# without tonguing it.

Re: Nielsen Maskarade overture shake E4-G#4

Help, help, help!  I tried the shake in rehearsal last night and could only get a nasty croak out!  Using regular E4 and G#4 fingering, of course.  This is in the second bassoon part.......

Sorry, can you define which octave this is in?  Do you mean tenor E and tenor G# (both above bass clef)?

For that octave, I have decent luck using short E (just LH 1 and the Eb resonance key) and my usual G# fingering (half-hole 1, 2, 3, Eb resonance | 2, 3, thumb Bb), although the trick is opening and closing your half-hole quickly enough for the E to be reasonably in tune.  Let me know if that helps!

Associate Principal Bassoon/Contrabassoon, Kansas City Symphony

Wow, I would never have thought of that - that is not my usual G# fingering so I don't think I would have ever stumbled onto that combination.  I'll try it.  Thanks!  Yes, it's the E and G# just above the bass clef staff.

In that range, the individualities of every instrument come into play.  On my horn (a late 9000 Heckel), the following works (with some reeds):  Finger a normal E WITHOUT RH2  -- trill left thumb A key (think low).  The upper note is sort of a flattened high A.

x 0 x Eb | x 0 x
Trill LH A key.

Hope that helps.

tom

Thanks loads.  My computer's been down so didn't get to see this until tonight.  I've written it down to make sure I get it right and will try it tomorrow.  Also, TK DeWitt, I'll try yours as well.  Thanks to you both.

Thank you, both.  I could not get TK DeWitt's fingering to work on my horn (just got more croaks), and Tom's worked after a fashion.  It is a devilish combination, I find, and needs plenty of support to get even minimal success.