Topic: Kooiman Oboe Thumb Rest

Has anyone used the Kooiman TR?  What are your thoughts? 
I have read on some Clarinet boards that people have had a problem with stripping screws and issues of the TR messing up there screw holes.  Has anyone found this with the Etude or Oboe TR? 
I have hyperextension of my right pinky that I am trying to correct.  I currently wear a ring which helps the issue but I am wondering if this Kooiman TR might actually do a better job of preventing the issue.   Anyone have any experience with one?

I am just very weary of damaging my oboe in testing it.

Re: Kooiman Oboe Thumb Rest

I used the cheaper version of the thumb rest on my English Horn and it did indeed come loose and screw holes are now larger. This is something I think a competent repairman could easily fill and fix tho.  For the two years it lasted it was a big help with the heavy EH.  I would be tempted to try the more expensive version which I think gives more flexibility in placement of your thumb and hopefully is a bit sturdier. Lois Barton

I have the Maestro professional thumb rest on my oboe and love it! If you are considering this purchase, go with this one! It will completely support your right hand (and it's adjustable which I love!) Make sure you have a professional oboe repair technician drill the three additional holes in your oboe to make sure the thumb rest is acuratley securred (and correct). You'll also want to make sure that you double (or triple) check the placemnet of the thumb rest before it's placed on for good.

I'm seriously considering getting another one and putting it on my English Horn! It's that good!

Best,
Lindsey

Last edited by lindsey.woodruff (2010-07-22 09:09:01)

When the Maestro professional model is installed will the oboe still fit in a professional case?Do you need to remove any parts?  How do you check the position before final installation without drilling extra holes?  Lois Barton

Yes, it will fit in a normal sized case. There are two parts to the thumb rest:  a small metal piece that attaches to the oboe, and the actual thumb rest that slides/clicks on. So that piece can actually be taken off when you not playing your oboe. 

Here is an image of the two pieces: http://www.dawkes.co.uk/images_accessories/atr002.jpg.

There are also good directions on Kooiman's website: http://www.tonkooiman.com/index.php/en/products/maestro2

Best,
Lindsey