Topic: Oboe Reed Tip Profiler?

Hello everyone,
These days I am making a LOT of reeds for students. I am wondering how many have experience with oboe reed profilers and if they are worth the investment or if they even make the process any less time consuming. I am interested in any thoughts on the matter -- positive, negative, indifferent.

Thanks
Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Re: Oboe Reed Tip Profiler?

Hi Shawn,

I had just begun to work with my Udo Heng profiler when you posted this query so I didn't want to reply prematurely. However, now that I've been using it for a while I can say that it works very well and greatly simplifies the reed-making process while producing reeds of impressive consistency. It took me a while to figure out a routine for finishing the reeds when they came off the profiler but that is now well in hand and the results are great. For the past several years I have been making bassoon reeds but recently switched back to oboe. This week I will be putting up my revised web site on which I will be selling oboe reeds. One of the items that I will offer will be profiled blanks that can be easily finished to the individuals liking. If you don't want to invest in the cost of the machine you might want to consider these as an alternative way of providing reeds to your students.

Gene Carter
Linden Reeds
gcarter@lindenreeds.com

Gene -- thanks so much for your reply!

Shawn

Shawn Reynolds
Professor of Oboe/EH - Youngstown State University
Howland Schools - MS (director of bands); HS (Asst. Dir of Bands, Marching, Symphonic)

Shawn,
What I found in the couple reeds I made off a profiler is that it makes instant loose sides to the reed, because you have to put a very thick plaque into the reed--as far down as you want the scrape to begin, which forces the sides open a LOT.  I profiled the reeds, and when I took them off the plaque, the sides were splayed apart so far you wouldn't believe.  When I soaked them again, they closed back up, but the damage had been done--weak/loose sides, which in my experience are totally unusable.  And I think especially in reeds for students that the reeds need to be tight up the sides so that they can be played without biting. 

Anyway, my 2 cents
Shawn Welk
Richmond Symphony

On the 'Reeds 'n Stuff' profiler the mandrel has a registration mark on it that indicates how far the reed blank is to be inserted. The mandrel has a very thin blade that does not distort the reed opening or spread the sides of the reeds. My procedure is to profile my reeds in the morning and then let them dry. By afternoon they are ready for finishing and play immediately.

Gene Carter
Linden Reeds
gcarter@lindenreeds.com

The reeds 'n stuff profiler was the one I used.  Interesting we had such different results. 

Shawn

I have a Pfiefer oboe reed profiler that profiles the cane before tying it on.  I'm retired and will offer  someone a god deal on it. 

Baboo