Topic: Loree AK 47mm tubes from Forrests

Hello all,

I have a question about the Loree AK staples from Forrsts.  I usually buy tubes in batches throughout the year, like 50-60 per clip, but recently my last 2 batches the corks on a majority of  them seem to be too small for my loree AK oboe.  Now not in the too distant past, when i bought my staples from forrests the corks were so thick i would have use sandpaper to make them fit my oboe.(which i really liked)  Is anyone else experiencing this. I have a LA series Loree AK oboe.

Also i believe its not the reed well, because my older staples fit perfectly inside the well.  When i called Forrests about this they didnt know anything or heard anything about it.  They did in fairness, offer to replace the bad staples, but in good conscience (because i did tie reeds on them, and used a few of them for my oboe students, i did not return them.)

I also would like to note, this is not meant to be a disparaging post about forrests.  I like their products and still continue to buy cane and other necessities and would highly recommend them, since they are (i assume) getting the staples directly for loree, it seems to be Loree's  problem.

thank you for any responses

Re: Loree AK 47mm tubes from Forrests

It is my opinion that everything coming from Loree is inconsistent, the cane, the oboes and the staples. I have bought loree staples in the past (when I played a royal) and would get staples from the same batch that either: the staple was too big and the mandrel (loree) would extend a millimeter or more past the opening of the staple or the staple was too small and the mandrel wouldn't even make it to the opening of the staple. I know your problem stems from the cork on the staple, but I would recommend finding another brand of staple.

I hope this helps.

UPDATE:

I would like to update my current staple dilemma.  I just recently bought 40 loree ak staples, from another manufacturer who is quite well known in the mid-west, i thought i would try another supplier to see if it was the supplier or suplyee, and  my conclusion is this; LOREE is doing something different, I do not know if it cost cutting the cork or what, but all but 4 of the 40 did not fit, and of the 4 that did just did so barely.  All of the 36 were easliy to slide out just by using my mouth which is quite unacceptable to me. 

Now, i have used lore ak staples for the last 10 years of my career, and loved them till now.  if  anyone has any comparable alternatives i would greatly appreciate your response.  Currently I play on a loree ak LA model and my reed setup is part glotin cane tied at 72mm and Vandoren cane tied at 72.25 mm.  I need something first that fits the oboe, and second will give me the same pitch, control and tone, as did the AK tubes did.

Thank you in advance for any of your wisdom of this matter, as always it is greatly appreciated. or you can email me privately at oboeplayer23@hotmail.com

-Greg

Last edited by oboeplayer23 (2010-08-28 09:34:22)

Well, this is old, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in anyway in case someone looks. I use Loree AKs but I don't replace them very often, and I use the Nissen sleeve on it, eliminating the cork issue altogether. Once you find the right o-rings (included) for your reed well, you're pretty much set until you mangle the tube enough that you're forced to replace it. It makes them pricey but since you don't replace that often, I think it works out. Won't work for reeds to give students, though, unless you're sure you can get them back from them to re-use. http://www.oboetube.com (I am only a user and have no other connection to Mr. Nissen or the product).-kby