Topic: Forum Format

Dear Forum Folks,

I am trying to help setup a forum like this for a music and disability interest group I am associated with and I was wondering if I might ask if there was a particular program used to create this forum or if someone might be able to put me in the right direction to develop something like this.  I wonder if it's something an informed amateur could handle or if there is some heavy duty programming involved.  Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jennifer Sadoff
Dallas, TX

Jennifer Sadoff
Bocal Majority Bassoon Camp
Dallas, TX

Re: Forum Format

Hi Jennifer:

This is the program that was used for this site http://forums.punbb.org/ 

Good luck with your forum.  I am not sure how difficult it is.  I think Yoshi has mostly developed this one so if he sees your message he can tell you what it is like.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

I'd be interested in hearing more about your music and disability interest group.
Louise Hillery

Hi Louise,

Thanks for your interest.  In my other life I am a music theorist and I because of an association I have with a disabled composer/music theorist I joined a new special interest sub-group of SMT (Society for Music Theory) called  the disability studies in music theory group.  I am helping to design the website and I'd like to implement the kind of forum used by IDRS (this very one in fact).  The group's goals are to promote scholarship on disability studies (which it has already done via the first book on the topic: "Sounding Off: Theorizing Disability in Music" and also to promote fair access in the society.  Do you have an interest in this area?

Thank you,
Jennifer Sadoff Auerbach
Dallas, TX

Jennifer Sadoff
Bocal Majority Bassoon Camp
Dallas, TX

My interest is that I've just retired from teaching special education. Most recently I taught high school students with mild disabilities, but I have worked with all ages and types of disabilities over my career. Music has always been a sideline that had little connection to my work life, after I gave up the idea of music therapy as a career. But I wonder if anyone has made a serious study of accommodating music instruction and participation for people with disabilities. I suppose someone has, and I just don't know about it.

As people with disabilities know, the rest of us are the "temporarily able-bodied." If we live long enough, we'll all accumulate some disabilities. I would like to know that someone is studying how to circumvent those disabilities and continue a meaningful participation in music (not "rhythm band").

It's not apparent to me how disabilities might impact work in music theory, other than cognitive or auditory disabilites, which would probably preclude an interest in music anyway. But anyway, I'm pleased to know that there's some discussion going on about the intersection of music with disabilities, although my own interest is at the level of idle curiosity. Best of luck to you!

Louise Hillery

vBullentin is probably the nicest forum software I've seen. It costs money to use, though. See this Wikipedia article for a comparison between different software. And yes, in my experience it's usually very easy to set up a web forum.