Topic: Query...

I recently got an e-mail out of the blue from a lady in France needing a bassoon teacher for her high school son who will be in NYC for 2 months soon. This was sent to me by BridgetoMusic.com.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had experience with this BridgetoMusic service - I e-mailed the lady, giving her my lesson fee, and asked if her son is playing a German or French system bassoon. She never answered that question, but wrote back that she needed to know my personal contact info, so a business friend of her husband's will write me a check for the FULL amount (2 lessons a week for 2 months).  Since I don't know my schedule (freelance) for the 2 months mentioned, I wrote her that I would prefer her son contact me when he gets to the city, and that he should pay me per lesson, in case there are times when I will not be available, etc. Waiting to hear her response.

I'm hoping this is all legit, but I'm a bit wary of a stranger contacting me out of the blue from this service.  I'll appreciate any advice from anyone who has had experience with BridgetoMusic.

Thanks in advance for any future response.

Cheers, Jm

James Jeter, D.M.A., NYC Bassoonist
"To love human beings is still the only thing worth living for; without that love, you really do not live." Soren Kierkegaard
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mahatma Gandhi  "Mach' es kurz! Am Juengsten Tag ist's nur ein Furz!" Goethe

Re: Query...

This seems like some of the scams you hear about (and that I've received) in emails.  I wish I had saved some of those so I could post it here.  I'd be very wary of it though...

Last edited by concertmaster3 (2010-12-11 09:07:50)

Ronnal Ford
DMA Oboe Performance '16
Multiple Woodwind Performance/Theory Cognate
Adjunct Professor, Guilford Tech & Forsyth Tech

I agree that this is almost definitely a scam.  I have received numerous emails, from various sources, outlining the same type of scenario.  Any discourse leads to the promise of money in exchange for more detailed personal information.  DO NOT give them your personal information, or you're likely to be the victim of an identity theft of some kind.

There's only room on this planet for one Jim Jeter.

Best,

Jonathan

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
SoCal Freelancer/Educator
www.marzlufreeds.com

The way this usually works is that someone shows up with a check before the first lesson. The check is accidently written for much more than is required. The person asks you to give them back the difference. The original check is no good. Don't do it!

http://www.safefromscams.co.uk/MusicLessonScam.html

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Thanks for the insight - I figured as much, since this 'mother' doesn't know if her son's learning the Buffet or the German system fagott!! Oy, vey - lots of mischief out there! Jim

"To love human beings is still the only thing worth living for; without that love, you really do not live." Soren Kierkegaard
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mahatma Gandhi  "Mach' es kurz! Am Juengsten Tag ist's nur ein Furz!" Goethe

Jim and colleagues, I recently received a similar query about oboe lessons. I recalled reading this thread and knew to immediately route the message to the trash bin.

-thanks,
Dwight

Dr. Dwight Manning
Teachers College, Columbia University
Box 97 525 West 120th St. New York, NY 10027
212-678-8252  <dm2723@tc.columbia.edu>

Dwight - if you were contacted by this person through Craigslist, BridgetoMusic or some other agency, be sure to give the address/name, etc. to the agency.  Hopefully, this will help others, but it does seem like these come periodically - lots of scammers out there in this crappy economy!  Thanks for sharing - Jim