Topic: Switching gouging blades from one machine to other

Now this may be a crazy thought, and I am sure it has been discussed....but is it possible to take your favorite gouger blade and put it in another machine.  For example (and in no way is this an insult from one gouge to another), if I would take a Ferrillo gouging blade and put it in Ross machine.  I use both machines, and like both of them...but I just want to see if it is possible to move one blade from one machine and put it in another. 

Has anyone done that?  And if you have, do you know which blades fit inside which machines?

Thanks

Jim Drayton

Re: Switching gouging blades from one machine to other

I have no idea but so long as they fit and are approximatly the same shape and size you should be ok...the only way you'll really know is to try...go steady though don't just bash on regardless, softly softly is the best approach...why don't you ask the manufacturer?  Surely its not the blade that will alter the gouge but the gouging bed itself...the blade will provided its the same shape and size gouge according to the bed it is gouging over...Sorry if none of that makes any sense but I can't quite get my head round why the blade being changed will make any difference...its like shaving with another razor...in the wrong handle...it kind of fits and does the job but is a slightly different set up...so long as the blade is sharp it will gouge...

Is there a difference in the gouging bed size on each machine?

Enough from my plainly troubled brain..

Kindest regards

Andrew

Andrew

More important than the blade vs. bed issue, is the blade vs. guide.  The guide is that curved part of the carriage that precedes the blade as the carriage passes over the piece of cane.  The guide’s job is to press the cane into the bed so that every piece of cane ends up matching the diameter of the bed at the point of being gouged.  Every gouger (that I am aware of) is set up so the curves of the blade and guide are a near-perfect match; otherwise, the blade will end up gouging only the points at which it can “peek out” from behind a guide that does not match, and leaving other spots untouched.  I hope I’ve got this right, and that it makes sense.  In short, I doubt it is a feasible notion to switch blades, unmodified, from one machine to another (regardless of their make/model).   

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
SoCal Freelancer/Educator
www.marzlufreeds.com

I agree with Marzluf. First of all, a Ferillo machine is a double radius machine while a Ross is a Single radius machine.

That said, the guide absolutely must be shaped to match the blade curvature. Since the Ross and the Ferillo blade curves are completely different, this wouldn't work.