Topic: looking for these antique instrument restorers

Does anyone have contact information for either Joel Robinson in New York or Dan Deitch in San Francisco?  I'm looking for people to work on my antique oboe, circa 1910.
Thanks,
Ann

Re: looking for these antique instrument restorers

Joel is (212) 260-9344 and Dan is (415) 221-2735 or (415) 387-4527.
When I lived there I had John Goebel at Forrest's work on my 19th century oboes and he he did well. I don't know if Joel has ever worked on post and rod keywork, but Dan certainly has. What do you have and what does it need?

Thanks.

It is a grenadilla oboe by A. Robert  (about serial #  5500)  It is a ring key system.  At a minimum it would need  padding, adjustment,  possible crack repair.  It seems that all of the rods, posts and screws function.  The plating has some wear.  I don't know if I want to do a full restoration, or a moderinizatiton if advised, before deciding if  this is an instrument that I would like to play.

Do you have any ideas on how to approach this and what to expect?  My primary goal is playablity not colectability.

Also do you know of any resourses that would help me date the instrument?

Last edited by Ann Rosandich (2006-08-12 12:38:04)

Hi Ann:
I hope this does not qualify as advertising, but I am happy to work on high quality old oboes like your Robert.  I have a small collection of 19th and early 20th century oboes myself, mostly Buffets, Trieberts, and early Lorees in various key systems.
I do have quite a bit of experience on oboes of this vintage, and I am prefer to work in a manner respectful of their age and historical value.
You can contact me at RDG woodwinds, or at my home shop.  (714) 289-3690

John Peterson