Topic: Double Tonguing Bibliography

Here are some publications on double tonguing for those interested in reading more.

Contemporary:

Allison, Trueman. “An Approach to Double Tonguing.” The Double Reed 11/3 (Winter 1988): 39-40.

Garfield, Bernard. “The Bassoonist’s Nightmare.” Woodwind World 2 (March 1958): 11.

Meyer, Frederick. "Double Tonguing on the Oboe." The Instrumentalist (May 1970). Reprinted in Woodwind Anthology, The Instrumentalist Co. 1976, pp. 300-301.

Moritz, Frederick W. “The Art of Double Tonguing on Reed Instruments.” Journal of the International Double Reed Society 11 (1983): 14-16.

Peeples, Georgia. “Teaching the Bassoonist to Double Tongue.” Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion 21/5 (September 1982): 6-7.

Historic:

Haynes, Bruce. “Tu ru or not tu ru: Paired Syllables and Unequal Tonguing Patterns on Woodwinds in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries.” Performance Practice Review 10/1 (Spring 1997): 41-60.

Ranum, P. “Tu-ru-tu and tu-ru-tu-tu: Toward an Understanding of Hotteterre’s Tonguing Syllables.” The Recorder in the Seventeenth Century. Utrecht, 1993, pp. 217-254.

Terry

Terry Ewell
Professor Bassoon, Towson University
Former President, IDRS
Former Principal Bassoon Hong Kong Philharmonic, Wheeling Symphony

Re: Double Tonguing Bibliography

For oboe my teacher from the san antonio symphony says strat with the ka not the ta and go katakatakatka so it is smoother

Re: Double Tonguing Bibliography

I treat the topic of double-tonguing in my book "Bassoon Strategies for the Next Level" on pages 123 - 129 with some useful exercises. The book is available on my website: www.weaitmusic.com (How's that for unblushing self-promotion)  crw

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com