Topic: Welcome to the Double Reed Fingering Forum

We seemed to have a good deal of traffic on the old IDRS list so I imagine that questions about fingerings will continue to come up.

It has been several years since I had time to update the Bassoon-Family Fingering Companion on the IDRS web site at http://www.idrs.org/BSNFING/FINGHOME.HTM Frankly the whole site is quite dated. My research assistant and I entered all the informing directly from code at the time. Web editing software was still in its infancy then! Certainly there is much to be done to update the site. Any volunteers?

I look forward to your replies. Terry

Terry Ewell
Professor Bassoon, Towson University
Former President, IDRS
Former Principal Bassoon Hong Kong Philharmonic, Wheeling Symphony

Re: Welcome to the Double Reed Fingering Forum

I made a contra fingering chart with Sibelius that I have printed to PDF format.  Email me privately if you think it could be used on the site.  tjbassoon@gmail.com

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I am wondering what others are doing. D above the staff, that famous flat note. I am thinking of trying to use the fingering of RH 1 & 2 plus LH 2 & 3 and F key for that "D" when I need projection and volume. Does this seem reasonable to others or not ? I don't really like pumping alot of air in my horn and pinching up so much for that particular note. What do others think ?  All comments would be appreciated. I'm playing a Fox 601 and that note is pretty good but still tends to go down in pitch when I play really loud.

Vincent Ellin

I just want to say thank you Terry for the Bassoon-Family fingering companion page. I can't count how many times I have visited your page. Dated or not, it is still the best reference out there, not to mention the quickest. I will often look up a fingering in a lesson or a different trill fingering in orchestra, because a fingering I am using does not work well for the situation. Thanks!
-Steve

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

I do want to apologize, I am not tech savvy enough to update the site, but I'll spread the word.
Steve

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.