Topic: Notes below Bb!?

Hiya,
Someone told me (and showed me) that it is possible to play notes below Bb on BASSOON without the low A extension. Does anyone know the fingerings for this kind of stuff?
Much appreciated
YoT

Brass bands are all very well in their place - outdoors and several miles away. ~Thomas Beecham

Re: Notes below Bb!?

Mostly just for fun, I can play a low A by fingering B flat and then playing on the tip of the reed with a loose embouchure.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Play low F and lift the 3rd finger left hand and you get a growly low A.  Then go down chromatically still keeping the 3rd finger up.   You should be able to get to low F# (low D fingering) if your reed is not too hard.

Mark

Mark Ortwein
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
OrtweinWoodwinds.com

ortreed wrote:

Play low F and lift the 3rd finger left hand and you get a growly low A.  Then go down chromatically still keeping the 3rd finger up.   You should be able to get to low F# (low D fingering) if your reed is not too hard.

Mark

I find these to be quite sharp, but for what is really a multiphonic they're pretty usable!  Of course, good luck controlling the dynamic.  :-)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds